Last Updated on July 14, 2022 by morninghomestead
If you thought only those who live in the Alaskan wilderness are in need of the famous Alaskan chainsaw mill, you would gain much knowledge through this article. Arborists, landscapers, homeowners, professional loggers and people who run lumbering businesses are typically the ones that make a chainsaw mill part of their on-hand equipment.
However, before you can walk into a business in search of the ideal tool, it is advisable to do some homework on trusted and reliable dealers who stock the best chainsaw mill for the money.
- Best Chainsaw Case: Chainsaw Carrying Case Reviews & Guide 2022
- Best Chainsaw Trousers for Climbing: Chainsaw Chaps Reviews and Guide
- Best Chainsaw Gloves: 2020 Reviews (Top Picks) and Guide
In this review, Morninghomestead will walk you through a step-by-step buying guide on how to find the best chainsaw mill for your money. It means, in the end, you should know the following key areas:
- A deeper understanding that merits of owning a portable mill such as Timber Tuff TMS-36-Inch does not end with buying one with an ideal Kerf or cutting torch. Read on and discover more benefits of owning this useful tool.
- A review of top best chainsaw mills on the market. You should not settle for anything even though different manufacturers such as Granberg present buyers with varying features in a single tool. It is important to also think about cost and other tool specifications for the sole purpose of making the right selection.
- The leading characteristics of the best milling chainsaw. While some people will buy Granberg Model G5777 because of its output capacity; another homesteader will go for a different model either because it is cheap or lightweight.
However, the question is; what are some of the most important features to look for in a portable chainsaw mill? Do all dealers sell rails on which you will attach blades, or will you will have to buy them separately?
- You will learn about usage and maintenance tips. A blade will wear out with continued use. That means knowing how to maintain your tool is a plus for those who want to capitalize on longevity and value for their money.
- An expert guide for turning a chainsaw into sawmills.
- Find answers to questions that most buyers often ask relating to chainsaw mills so that you can proceed to Amazon with confidence and make an informed purchase decision.
The Benefits of Chainsaw Mill
As you shop around for the best price that will fit into a budget, it will not hurt to take a closer look at the benefits that come with owning A Haddon Lumber Maker or any other tool model this review will recommend in a short while.
In fact, it may just serve as an essential preliminary knowledge to making a wise buying decision. Take a look:
Imagine spending a fortune on chainsaw mill only for it to wear and tear so quickly that you will be out of money and a mill. Most of all, your number one hope is that there is a money-back guarantee provision from the company somewhere on the purchase so you can return the tool for a better one or claim a refund.
Well, that should be the least of your worries because they are mills that can often run as low as $25.00 and will save you money. Note that you will no longer need to buy timber from a big chain store or a milling factory which is also something which further saves you a few more bucks.
After using a machete or power saw to remove trees, or unsightly stumps or logs that are lying somewhere in your backyard can often be a trying task. Having a chainsaw mill on hand will help you with preserving the lumber once you have cut it down.
It is a DIY
Nothing feels as good as handling a project your way. At the very least, it is fun an can be challenging as well. However, the task you can accomplish with a chainsaw mill is often pretty impressive. You can cut lumber into shapes and sizes that would suit a poultry house building project or constructing an outdoor shed.
Timber milling or lumber can be utterly laborious. Pay a visit to a nearby logging site soon, and you will be in awe of the amount of work people do there on a daily basis. From forklifts operators, truck drivers, use of dozers, and other equipment, a dozen tools are always in use.
However, did you know that with the best chainsaw mill, which is notwithstanding portable, you will not need any of the tools mentioned above whatsoever? Well, now you know why you can save both time and money when you own a mill such as a Timber Tuff-24 or any other model you find appealing in this review.
You will be using the tool right on site, which means, the amount of time one would spend transporting massive logs, trip after trip, is significantly reduced. By milling everything into portable lumber, just like the tool itself, you can imagine how fast one would clear a work area.
Perfect Addition for Chainsaw
Using a chainsaw mill alongside a powerful chainsaw means cutting through wood grain would feel like driving a sharp knife through a piece of cake.
The following are the leaders in Chainsaw mills. Careful and thorough research along with ample consideration goes into each of our product guides so that our readers can shop wisely and efficiently.
The Following are the Top 6 Best Chainsaw Mills for the Money:
A desire to spend money on a perfect lumbering tool like a chainsaw mill can be in itself confusion. It is because the buyer-seller market is full of different models. One may end up spending days-on-end researching a given model before moving to the next, thus wasting much time in the process.
Morninghomestead’s purpose is to relieve consumers of such an overbearing experience by sampling the best chainsaw mills on the market. Take a look below for a hassle-free tool selection then proceed to place your order on Amazon effortlessly.
(Article Continues Below)
|Granberg Chainsaw Mill||– Lightweight|
– A user manual to guide installation
– Clamps into place-no need for drilling when fitting the bar
– Cuts from a half-inch to 17-inch beams
Logosol Farmers M8
|– Lightweight, hence highly portable tool|
– Unique ripping chains for smooth cut surfaces
– Ideal for both small and medium size logs
– Lets you work in an upright posture
Carmyra Portable Chainsaw Mill
|– Features high quality and durable aluminum and steel body|
– The perfect tool for hardwood milling. Cut Oak, walnut, and cedar with great ease.
– Ideal for 36-Inch beams, with a cutting thickness ranging between 0.5 to 13 inches
– No need for a drilling bar when attaching a saw
Popsport Chainsaw Mill
|– It features a perfect size measuring 43.3 X 7.9 X 7.9 inches|
– Ideal for more massive logs of between 14 to 38 inches
– Very portable
– Made of aluminum steel
|Haddon Lumbermaker||– Lightweight, at only 3.75 pounds|
– Ideal dimensions, 8 X 3 X 8 inches in measurement
– Fits perfectly onto 2×6 or 2×4 cutting guide board
|Timber Tuff TMW-56||– The 8‘‘ X 8.25‘‘ X 2.75 dimension is adjustable|
– Made to last, thanks to powder coating that guards against corrosion
– TMW-56 is easy to assemble
– Weighs 3.55 pounds
Granberg Chainsaw Mill, Model G777
Whenever people talk about lumbering or logging, Granberg tools are never far away from their minds. In fact, they have remained some of the most domineering tools in recent times, in spite of other equally useful variants flooding the market every day.
Now, to cut a long story short, take a look below for features and functionalities that make Granberg Chainsaw Mill, Model G777 an outstanding chainsaw mill any day.
- The first advantage of this product that most agree with is it is lightweight. That means you can use it anywhere even deep into thick woodlands without mobility problems.
- Cuts from a half-inch to 17-inch beams.
- It is ideal for wider planks and chainsaws measuring not more than 20 inches fit perfectly.
- Comes with a safety guard; polycarbonate.
- A user manual to guide installation makes it easy to use on the go even for first-timers.
- No need for drilling when fitting the bar, thanks to a clamp-into-place functionally.
- Great experience when equipped with a Granberg ripping chain.
Logosol Farmers Chainsaw Sawmill
You cannot think about the perfect mill without WoolandPro products coming to mind, mainly if you have gathered enough experience with different models on the market. There are excellent details and quality a farmer would need from the Logosol Farmers, and they include the following:
- Highly portable tool
- Easy and fun to use
- Ideal for both small and medium-size logs
- You can use a chainsaw with up to 90 cc or more, which means cutting larger planks has never been easier than with Logosol.
- Features unique ripping chains for smooth cut surfaces
- Lets you work in an upright posture, which means less strain and more output
- Use either Husqvarna 395 XP or 390 XP as the idea chainsaws when you go for M8.
- The main disadvantage that comes with this product is that you will have to buy a bar, a chain and a chainsaw as separate packages.
Carmyra Portable Chainsaw Mill 36-Inch Planking Milling Bar
Carmyra chainsaw mill loyalists love it for many reasons such as the following:
- Features high quality and durable aluminum and steel body
- The perfect tool for hardwood milling. Cut Oak, walnut, and cedar with great ease.
- Ideal for 36-Inch beams, with a cutting thickness ranging between 0.5 to 13 inches
- No need for a drilling bar when attaching a saw
- Very affordable on Amazon
VBENLEM Chainsaw Mill Planking Milling
At number four is the VBENLEM woodworker’s companion. Loggers and homesteaders who opt for this mill do it for many reasons.
- It features a perfect size measuring 37 x 13 x 3 inches
- Ideal for more massive logs of between 14 to 36 inches
- Very portable
- Made of aluminum steel, a feature that keeps it safe from rust
- Durable product for the money
You will never run out of options if you are looking for an ideal lumber’s chainsaw mill for the money because Haddon’s Lumbermaker is another top brand for the money. So, why should you get this product from Amazon? Well, it presents a buyer with impressive features and functionalities such as the following:
- Lightweight, at only 3.75 pounds
- Ideal dimensions, 8 X 3 X 8 inches in measurement
- A great addition to DIY lumbering needs right on site where you can turn logs into beams, planks, wood and other shapes
- Works with all chainsaws with quick snap onto the bar
- A U.S.made product that comes with a handy 30-page user manual
- Fits perfectly onto 2×6 or 2×4 cutting guide board
Timber Tuff TMW-56 Lumber Cutting Guide
Last on this review is this product from Timber Tuff. However, the question is; how did TMW-56 make it to this review of top best chainsaw mills? Well, here are some reasons worth taking note of:
- The 8’’ X 8.25’’ X 2.75 dimension is adjustable; in which case; you can use it to cut planks measuring 2’’ X 6.”
- It’s a handy DIY addition to your logging needs
- Made to last, thanks to power coating that guards against corrosion
- TMW-56 is easy to assemble
- Weighs 3.55 pounds, which is equally the shipping weight
- Comes with a year’s warranty of fittings from the manufacturer.
What Features Should We Look for in a Chainsaw Mill
While people will always regret wrong choices or decisions they have made out of lack of knowledge at some point in time, it does not mean everyone has to go through the same experience when looking for an ideal chainsaw mill for the money.
Every tool presents a buyer with different features. Some may be not fit the bill as the best for big logs, but, others would be a perfect definition of what every professional logger needs.
The Following are the Top Features to Look for When Shopping for a Milling Saw:
The Size of Kerf
The thickness of a cut is an essential factor every buyer must weigh into before settling on either A Norwood PortaMill or Alaskan Mark III Chainsaw Mill. So, you need to ask some critical questions such as: Will the torch through wood grain be so thick that it will reduce the number of timber one would mill from a single log? Technically, different manufacturers fit their tools with varying Kerf sizes.
If you want to make thicker planks out of a log, then a thicker Kerf is the way to go. It may depend on the purpose for which you need timber. However, again, take note that you will not be able to cut out lots of wood with this option. A large Kerf is also energy-consuming when cutting through the forest.
Mills are generally lightweight, albeit, it can vary from one model to the other depending on a manufacturer’s specs. Thus, it is crucial that a buyer consider the overall assembling at a workstation, which includes the weight of a chainsaw and that of a mill.
Size of the Bar
Essential questions deserve comprehensive and dependable answers. You cannot buy a chainsaw mill and avoid the issue of bar capacity. The longer the length of the bar, the bigger logs it would accommodate. It means you will also be able to lumber large slabs.
A typical mill should not cost you a fortune. However, for someone who is looking forward to buying a complete package that includes a chainsaw and other essential accessories, he or she should be ready to cough out up to a thousand bucks. Also, note that price variations may come about as due to the model.
How to Use and Maintain a Chainsaw Mill?
A chainsaw mill typically guides the cutting activity making it possible for a logger to cut wood into ideal sizes. When it comes to using one, you will need to attach a saw bar to a rail. The standard number of tracks is two, which means two operators; each with a chainsaw can work from both ends at the same time.
Mills with elaborate fittings feature a frame and a track on which operators mount their saws. A typical example here is portable band sawmill. It is essential to take precautionary measures when using this tool because every power tool poses some threat to a user.
Wear gloves, earplugs and safety goggles to cushion one’s self from harmful vibrations, loud noise, and sawdust during work. You also need to wear a saw miller’s apron and helmet for extra safety, not to mention first aid kit. Moreover, if you are working deep in the jungle, keep a spare gas can to save you from inconveniences such as the power saw running out of fuel.
Additional Operational Tips
- Make sure the chain is always sharp. Use an ideal chainsaw sharpener to achieve a smoother glide through the wood at all times.
- It is essential to make sure the bar and the rail are always parallel to each other when working
- Cutting out wood chips from the starting edge makes it easy to Kerf through hardwood
- Add oiler on the outboard side of the bar to protect the bar and chain, especially when handling wide planks.
- Positing the log in such a way that it feels like one is cutting downhill makes the work easier. It’s all about making the most out of gravity. However, make sure there is something to support the slopping from sliding due to vibration during cutting.
- It is necessary that the rails be longer than the logs
- A smooth one-way cutting through is vital. It is because when you move the chainsaw back and forth during operation, the resulting lumber will feature a rough slab surface, something that is undesirable.
- Do not work against the wind. Do it in such a way that sawdust flies away from your position.
FAQs About Chainsaw Mill
Q: How much will I spend on a typical chainsaw mill when buying from Amazon?
A: Well, an amount upwards of say $200 or $300 averages what most people spend on a single product. You can pay more depending on whether a single purchase comes with accessories such as a frame and a track. However, you can spend way less than the figures depending on the model.
Q: Do I need a specific sawing power?
A: Different saws present different capacity. However, a mill can accommodate any saw power. You should note that most are 50cc, which is the average. More power equals to faster completion of the task at hand. It would, however, interest you to indicate that a 36-inch log or more will require a power range between 86cc and 120cc.
The power value decreases for smaller logs. For example, 55cc to 67cc would be ideal for a log size of 18-inches, while an 18-inch to 36-inch wood size will require a chainsaw power of between 68cc and 85cc.
Q: Does a chainsaw mill have limitations?
A: You will not be able to work on many logs and turn them into lumber in over-extended hours of the day. The tool can hardly accommodate over-working, but the output will be impressive.
Q: Is it possible to use larger mills with small bars?
A: Definitely, yes! It is because you can adjust your tool to accommodate smaller bars.
Q: What is the right angle for sharpening a ripping chain?
A: There are standard sharpening rules a logger needs to keep in mind when using a filing jig. Here is a comprehensive expert guide on how to go about it.
Hopefully, after reading the product guide, you have a better understanding of what you need in a chainsaw mill. Keep in mind that this piece of equipment like others with sharp edges if not something anyone who lacks experience should attempt to use until a proper education.
Make sure someone who already is familiar with milling lumber is handy to teach and guide you before you try on your own. There are many details and tips in the guide to help you with many steps of the learning process.
Thank you for taking the time to read this buyer guide for the best chainsaw mill. If you do not mind, please share it on your social media accounts and let others read our informative articles. Be sure to leave us a comment in the section below, and we will be happy to respond.