There is always something you will want to do with a ripping saw because a machete or an ax or any other cutting tool doesn’t fit the bill. Whether it is working on a rabbit house project in the backyard or cutting lumber at the workshop, tool modifications suit different situations. You not only want a bandsaw you want the best bandsaw for the money.
In this review, Morninghomestead walks you through the details of yet another versatile tool for the handyman. So, if you are running a carpentry workshop or your work involves relocation from one job site to another, it is time to take a nosedive into a new addition to our series for the woodworker; the Bandsaw.
- DeWalt DWX723 vs. DWX724 vs. DWX725b vs. DWX726: What Works?
- 10-inch vs. 12-inch Miter Saw: Which One Should You Choose?
What is a Bandsaw?
It is a wood ripping power machine featuring internal wheels and rotating blades running on a pulley system. As a result of all of that along with superb noise reduction, there is no comparison of other types of saws. The tool is ideal for making curvaceous cuts, not to mention that it guarantees a woodworker a ripping precision on crosscuts and smooth cuts.
Moreover, there are no kickbacks when using this tool, thanks to a downward ripping action. Thus, the probability of accidents is almost zero. Also, if you have always had trouble ripping irregular wood shapes such as cabriole legs, this is the perfect tool for the job.
How to Choose the Right One?
The goal of every woodworker is to do a perfect job at any time or day. However, that would remain a mirage if one doesn’t pick the right bandsaw for the money. Moreover, with different tool brands flooding the market every other day, that can be tough.
It is also noteworthy that sometimes buyers face a myriad of challenges especially if everything seems to present a competitive value.
You are not going to buy anything for the sake of it, aren’t you? Well, you should always ask the experts about tool choices before placing bandsaw orders on Amazon. After gathering foolproof details about today’s products, we further took a nosedive into tips that will help buyers make the right selection. Take a look:
Why Frame Strength Matters
Choices have consequences, and that mantra comes to play regarding frame in bandsaws. While most frames feature materials that guarantee longevity such as steel die cast and cast iron, it is imperative to inspect your purchase before labeling it as genuine. After all, no one would want to pay money on a product with a frame that is likely to break after a few weeks.
Think Motor Power
Bandsaw power output is rating is horsepower. For a better experience and quality ripping, a score of 1.5 or 2.0HP is always better than anything less. You wouldn’t have a good story to tell with lower ratings below 1.0HP.
Go for the Right Blade
You may have read everything about machete blades especially regarding the different shapes, but that is a feature that does not always apply when it comes to placing orders for saws. Well, teeth per Inch usually abbreviated as TPI is a crucial factor here.
A higher TPI is equal to smooth and quality cuts. However, you will have to contend with a slow cutting rate in the process.
You shouldn’t rush when looking for the perfect sawing blade because any wrong move would result in short-lived happiness. PSI indicator, though not always a top consideration for most buyers, matters. It lets you adjust the blade fitting to the right tensile strength so that it does not break when ripping is underway.
Cost and Quality
People like to spend money on quality products and nothing less. So, when it comes to purchasing tabletop bandsaws or any other variant, you would want to find if a product is going to provide the much-needed quality. Cost also varies from brand to brand.
Bevel or cut angulations is another critical factor to consider when looking for the right tool for the job. You will notice that most bandsaws have a 45-degree capacity, a feature that is reminiscent of the tool’s ability to make smooth crosscuts and curves.
The arrangement of teeth is a feature that buyers must consider when looking for a band saw for every project. There are four main patterns namely raker set, wavy set, hook, and skip. Skip is ideal for ripping wood into small pieces, while hook pattern works best on non-ferrous metals and hardwoods. Moreover, if your projects involve cutting ferrous materials, raker and wavy teeth sets qualify as the perfect option. 
What are Some of the Most Popular Bandsaw Brands?
To provide buyers with as many tool choices as possible, Morninghomestead always does as much homework on brand variants as possible to keep everyone in the know. It is because brand loyalty still plays along in purchase decisions. The following are brands you will come across in the next section about top-rated band saws for the money:
Grizzly-branded industrial tools have been around for years. Since 1983, the company has continued to make inroads in a sector that is becoming expansive the day. Grizzly Band Saws are arguably some of the best today.
Since 1951, WEN’s Machinery and Power Tools have been able to win many hearts, thanks to their superior quality build. Today, the company specializes in making different types of equipment cutting across woodworker’s saws, lawn mowers, drill presses, power generators to hydraulic cylinders.
The company has its headquarters in Irvine, California but its reputation spreads beyond borders of the United States of America. Since its inception in 1984, Laguna Tools have been meeting woodworkers’ needs with the best band saws, not to mention CNC machines which are very popular in the market.
RIKON Power Tools
If you are looking for a woodcutting tool that comes with up to 5-year manufacture product warranty, then think RIKON. That is not to mention other high-quality accessories you will get pocket-friendly prices.
Another company that will never disappoint with its broad tool base is SKIL. From portable aerators, drilling equipment, saws to routers, you will always find something worth the money at SKIL.
There is always a high chance of landing a DEWALT-labeled band saw, and it is because the company’s reputation stretches across many years of superiority in tool manufacturing.
Top-Rated Band Saws for the Money:
Here is a look at our top selections on saw bands from which you can choose one that suits your woodworking needs:
|DEWALT DCS37B||– Tracking adjustment for the blade.|
– Double blade guide rollers for durability of the support system.
– It makes 2.5-inches cut.
– A cutting speed of up to 570 Fpm
– Ergonomic handle for comfort and flexibility on the grip
|DEWALT DWM120K||– It has rubber bumpers that cushion the steel guard from damage.|
– LED light fitting makes it possible to work in dark job sites.
– It has a hanging hook.
– It features a speed dial for different blade speed between 100-350 fpm.
|– Compact and lightweight|
– High horsepower
– Up to 150 cuts for XC battery charge (12 volts)
– Blade measures 27.7X 0.20 inches.
– Features LED that illuminates cutting lines even in dark conditions
DEWALT Bare-Tool DCS370B
|– 2.5-inch cutting capacity when you buy this tool|
– Up to 2-inch cuts in SCH-40pipe.
– Hanging Hooks
– A glass-filled nylon base, which is aside heavy-duty makes the item durable.
– Ergonomic handle provides a comfortable grip and natural balancing.
– It has a tracking adjustment and lever for controlling tensile strength
|Grizzly G0555LX||– The frame features cast iron for durability.|
– Intelligently balanced rubber tires on cast iron wheels.
– Meets CSA certification requirements.
– Aluminum T-shape re-saw fence, fencing scale, miter, and a magnifying window.
DEWALT DCS37B 20V MAX Lithium-Ion Band Saw, Bare-Tool
DEWALT products are some of the best out there and with DCS37B making it to the top of this review; you can only expect the best. Well, the item has the following features:
- It has a tracking adjustment for the blade.
- It features double blade guide rollers for durability of the support system.
- The handle’s central positioning provides users with great balance.
- It makes 2.5-inches cut.
- A cutting speed of up to 570 fmp is what you get with DEWALT DCS37B 20V MAX.
- The handle is ergonomic for comfort and flexibility on the grip.
- Lever for loosening blade to achieve the right tension or when changing blade.
- It features a hook for hanging, something that guards the tool against damage to the blade.
According to the manufacturer, the tool cuts up to 2-inches SCH 40 Pipe. There is an LED light fitting that makes it possible to carrying on with wood cutting tasks even in the dark.
What Do You Get in the Package?
Well, when you place your order on Amazon, the kit comes with the following:
- 14/18 TPI Blade.
- Wrench for blade tracking.
- DCS371, 20V MAX bandsaw.
However, charger and battery do not come with the package, which means, you will buy them as a different package.
DEWALT DWM120K 10 Amp 5-Inch Deep Cut Portable Band Saw Kit
The next product in this review is the DEWALT DMW120K. Most people who buy this item love it for many reasons and the 10 Amp motor with intelligent control always featuring in discussions. However, that is not all. The machine makes up to 5-inch deep on a round or rectangular stock.
More reasons to go for putting money on it include the following:
- It has rubber bumpers that cushion the steel guard from damage.
- LED light fitting makes it possible to work in dark job sites.
- It features a hanging hook so that the handles are always safe from damage when not in use.
- You will also notice that it features a speed dial enabling a user to vary blade speed between 100-350spm depending on the task at hand.
- It is also very durable, and users love the convenience of use that comes with DEWALT DMW120K.
- A woodworker will realize easy blade adjustment with using this tool, thanks to an accurate tracker fitting that glides over rollers.
- It has replaceable brushes on the outside for easy repair and maintenance.
- The handle is ergonomic for comfortable and accurate handling.
What you get when you buy DEWALT DMW120K
- A three-year manufacturer warranty.
- 90-day money back (product-testing).
- A binding contract of one-year product servicing.
- Deep cut DEWALT DMW120K band saw.
- A hex wrench.
- Kit box.
- A standard blade.
Milwaukee 2429-21XC M12 Cordless Sub-Compact Bandsaw Kit
Something a little different from the Dewalt range of band saws is the Milwaukee 2429-21XC M12. However, the question is, why does it make it in this review as one of the products you will find on Amazon as the best buy? After doing rigorous homework on the product, the following information explains with ease the reasons why woodworkers select it often.
- It is the smallest and the most lightweight of all Cordless band saws, in which case, allows for one-handed operation.
- High horsepower makes it possible to cut up to three-quarter inches every three seconds.
- It also does a maximum of 150 cuts for XC battery charge (12 volts)
- Blade measures 27.7X 0.20 inches.
- Features LED that illuminates cutting lines even in dark conditions.
- Milwaukee 2429-21XC is OSHA approved, thus meets highest quality standards for woodwork tools.
- It also features an adjustable blade tracking functionality.
- The tool comes with a 5-year product warranty.
DEWALT Bare-Tool DCS370B 18-Volt Cordless Band Saw
DEWALT DCS370B is a bare tool because it doesn’t come with a battery. However, it is one of the best job site and workshop machines you will find in the market because of the following reasons:
- You get a 2.5-inch cutting capacity when you buy this tool
- Up to 2-inch cuts in SCH-40pipe.
- Hanging hooks cushions the front handle from unprecedented damage when not in use.
- A glass-filled nylon base, which is notwithstanding heavy-duty makes the item durable.
- Easy handling, thanks to ergonomic handle provides a comfortable grip and natural balancing.
- Longevity of the blade, thanks to tracking adjustment and lever for controlling tensile strength.
- It has dual bearing rollers over which the blade glide during tracking.
- The tool is lightweight (less than 10-pounds), a characteristic that makes it a suitable job site companion for those who work involves much mobility.
- The length stands at 15-inches.
- DEWALT DCS370B band saw is suitable for plumbers, those who fit sprinklers, electricians, and other professionals whose jobs involve conduit, threaded rod, and uni-strut.
- Its small size also means you can access any location hence a highly flexible handyman’s tool.
- Apart from the battery, the tool doesn’t come with a charger since you will need to buy them separately. However, you can use 18-Volt XPR DEWALT battery system for up to 40 percent increase in runtime, which is way above Ni-Card batter series.
What do you get in the package?
When you order this item from Amazon, the following accompany the delivery:
- DCS370B 18-Volt cordless band.
- Blade tracking wrench.
- User manual.
- 14/18 blade.
Grizzly G0555LX Deluxe Bandsaw, 14-Inches
Grizzle products are some of the best you will come across on the market. Now, after weighing into the company’s range of band saws, GO555LX Deluxe took the lead because of the following reasons:
- The frame features cast iron for durability.
- Intelligently balanced rubber tires on cast iron wheels.
- It has ball bearings over which the blade glides for cutting precision.
- This tool meets CSA certification requirements.
- There is a heavy-duty stand for stability when in use
- Moreover, it features aluminum T-shape re-saw fence, fencing scale, miter, and a magnifying window
Types of Bandsaw
Tool variants always provide buyers with as many options as they would wish for when making purchases. Therefore, when it comes to bandsaws, the following are the different types you will find in the market:
Features a continuous loop of metallic teeth and are usually ideal for ripping timber. Wood Band Saws are other variants such as head saw (for making initial cuts and with a depth of up to 3-inches into wood grain), re-saws for ripping wood stock into small parts) and double cut saws which rip wood on both ends)
Meat Band Saw:
While Meat Band Saws are said to account for a more significant percentage of injuries in using sawing tools, they remain a butcher’s best friend. It is because one can use them to cut or chop meat into different shapes. Moreover, they are easy to clean, thanks to a stainless-steel blade.
If you always want to cut the stock to small sizes, then Metal Saws would come in handy any day. They are also ideal for polishing and filing metals to other shapes as desired. People who cut metallic pipes also need this tool more than anything else, not to mention that they make it possible to create new blades out of large metal stock.
However, while metal bandsaws will let you make both vertical and horizontal cuts, it is noteworthy that they come at the cost of high maintenance.
Horizontal Band Saw:
You will not be able to make cuts on weird or irregular shapes using the horizontal band saw, but the good news is that it is suitable for long materials. Also, buyers have a choice of choosing from a broad category of amateur and professional variants.
What’s more? Well, the tool provides handlers with high precision and accuracy when making straight cuts. It also procedures less noise, hence the use is sure to enjoy a quiet working environment.
Vertical Band Saw
With this variant, it is the workpiece that will be moving along the blade and not the saw. It is, therefore, stationary equipment. However, that is not all. The tool has an impressive cutting ability coupled with the ability to create complicated lines and shape out of lumber.
The last subcategory is the Portable Band Saw variant known to make curved lines and straight-edge cuts even from irregular shapes. There is less vibration when using this tool on metals and pipes, not to mention that you will have an easy time ripping large lumber.
Metal vs. Wood Bandsaw: The Differences
|Metal Bandsaw||Wood Bandsaw|
|Ideal for polishing and filing metals||Ideal for ripping timber|
|Cutting metallic pipes||Re-saws for ripping wood stock into small parts|
|For creating new blades out of large metal stock||For making initial cuts and with a depth of up to 3-inches into the wood grain|
|High maintenance cost||Low maintenance cost|
|One-side cutting||Double cut saws for ripping wood both ways|
Q: can you cut metal with a wood bandsaw?
A: Yes, but the metal band saws would be a perfect fit for such a demanding task. If you choose the other variants such as wood band saw, it means there would be a need for ideal blade befitting the job. However, it could prove a bumpy task when working on non-ferrous metals.
Q: should I sharpen the blade?
A: While it is always way better-replacing band saw blade because it doesn’t cost much, sharpening it can equally do in the meantime. Use an ideal grinder or a Dremel if you choose to sharpen the blade.
Q: How much does a bandsaw cost?
A: The amount of money you will spend on any given tool choice varies from brand to brand. It also depends on the specs. We try to gather products whose prices range from cheap to affordable so that you always have something to take home.
Q: When will my delivery arrive?
A: Understandably, everyone becomes anxious after adding his or her purchase to the cart because he or she wants to start making the most of their investment. For those living in the U.S, purchases from Amazon could take between 1-2 days. However, international orders could take up to seven days. Take note that there are logistical arrangements (tracking numbers) in place to make sure purchases arrive at the right destinations.
Thus far, and regarding the best bandsaw for the money, Milwaukee 2429-21XC M12 Cordless Sub-Compact Bandsaw Kit has features that anyone would want to have in top brand wood ripping equipment. From quality standardization, portability to Rip, what more do you need.
DEWALT Bare-Tool DCS370B 18-Volt Cordless Band Saw comes second as it presents to the buyer, equally amazing features that will get the job done fast. DEWALT DWM120K and DEWALT DCS37B follow closely in that order.
Finally, if you know anyone who is need of a quality product like the ones in this review, please show some care by sharing this post with them. We always love to hear from you, so do not forget to post your views in the comment section below.