The year is finally coming to an end and with holiday festivities in the offing; it wouldn’t be a bad idea to put money towards a good handyman’s tool at significantly discounted and lucrative prices. In this review, Morninghomestead once again walks you through a buying guide pitting Fiskars range of axes against each other. The big question is: Where would you put your money, presumably, after comparing x27 vs. x25 vs. x21 vs. x17?
- Best Camping Axes and Hatchets: 2019 Reviews and Buying Guide
- Best Brush Axe: 2019 Reviews and Comparison (Brush Axe vs. Machete)
- Best Cutter Mattock, Best Pick Mattock & Pickaxe for Digging: 2019 Reviews & Guide
The truth is that people will always exhibit varying tastes and preferences even when it comes to buying a product out there. And on Amazon, walking away with an ax, especially at this time of the year when shopping spree is feverish comes with great deals and good memories. Thus, we not only help you make the right decision but also do the following:
- Compare and choose the best product.
- We find out if these tools are as good as people say.
- Investigate the makes material in Fiskars range of axes.
- We also put together a proper tool sharpening guide so you will no longer do it the wrong way.
- Determine whether you can use a chopping ax to split firewood.
- Find out the right length of cutting firewood.
- Explore wood splitting tricks, everyone, using Fiskars axes should know.
- Moreover, will provide answers to frequent questions buyers ask regarding these products.
- 1 Fiskars X27 Vs. X25 vs. Fiskars X21 vs. Fiskars X17 Vs Isocore Maul: What Works?
- 2 1, Fiskars X27 Reviews:
- 3 2, Fiskars X25 Reviews:
- 4 3, Fiskars X17 Reviews:
- 5 4, Isocore Maul Reviews:
- 6 5, Fiskars X21 Reviews:
- 7 Which One Should We Choose?
- 8 Are Fiskars Axes Any Good?
- 9 Where Are Fiskars Axes Made?
- 10 Sharpening a Fiskars Splitting Axe
- 11 Can You Use A Chopping Axe to Split Wood?
- 12 What Is the Proper Length to Cut Firewood?
- 13 Wood Splitting Tricks
- 14 FAQs:
- 15 Verdict
- 16 How useful was this post?
Fiskars X27 Vs. X25 vs. Fiskars X21 vs. Fiskars X17 Vs Isocore Maul: What Works?
|Fiskars X27||Fiskars X25||Fiskars X21||Fiskars X17||Isocore Maul|
|36-inch handle length||28-inches long||27.95 inches||32.5 inches in length||36-inches long|
|5.85 pounds||5.29 pounds||3.53 pounds||3.6 pounds||8 pounds|
|Product measurements: 1.75 x 9.25 x 37.75 inches||Dimensions: 2.2x 9.4x 31.5 inches||Tool measurements: 29.92 x 8.23 x 1.5||Product dimensions: 28 x 8 x 3 inches||Dimensions: 3.2 x 7.8 x 36 inches.|
|Forged steel build||Forged steel construction||Forged steel body||Forged steel construction||Forged steel construction|
|One-bladed||Single blade||1- blade||Single blade||Double edge|
|Convex blade beveling||Convex blade beveling||Convex blade beveling||Convex blade beveling||Convex blade beveling|
1, Fiskars X27 Reviews:
Fiskars x27 Super Splitting Ax 36-Inch, 378841-1002
In its range of tools, Fiskars has many top brands such as the X27. It isn’t any other type of ax because apart from being affordable, buyers who settle on this item have always enjoyed using it given its many great features such as the following:
- Suited to splitting medium and large wood, thanks to a 36-inch handle length which helps minimize effort.
- Perfect power-to-weight ratio hence more efficiency and balance when in use.
- Convex blade beveling and geometry further improves the efficiency of x27.
- It is lightweight at only 5.85 pounds.
- Buyers who put their money on this product enjoy a lifetime warranty.
- Coating of the blade prevents it from getting stuck in wood, hence ease of removal with every strike.
- It also features a forged steel blade for longevity.
- Product dimensions: 1.75 x 9.25 x 37.75 inches.
2, Fiskars X25 Reviews:
Fiskars X25 Splitting Ax, 28-Inch, 378541-1002
Another product in the Fiskars series of axmen tools is x25, which is costing a little more than x27, but equally phenomenal and worth the money. Thus, a question you are probably asking right now is whether to go right ahead and add it to cart or not. Well, before further ado, let’s explore some of its features and why it may be what you need. Take a look.
- Just like x27, x25 suits medium to large splitting tasks.
- Perfect power-to-ratio balance.
- It features a fiberComp ergonomic handle that minimizes friction with every strike.
- It is also lightweight at only 5.29 pounds.
- Dimensions: 2.2x 9.4x 31.5 inches.
- Tool length: 28-inches.
- Buyers who opt for this tool enjoy a lifetime warranty.
- Premium blade designs, thanks to proprietary grinding technology that help maintain sharpness while also reducing friction.
- Forged steel blade is a recipe for longevity and sharpness.
- It has a coated blade to prevent sticking in firewood during splitting.
3, Fiskars X17 Reviews:
Fiskars x17 Splitting Ax 23.5-inch
Being less costly than the above too is not to say X17 ax is inferior. You must already that that each tool, depending on features it presents to buyers, is always a unique option that anyone might want to consider. Therefore, after going through several pieces of information, we found out that this isn’t just any other type of an ax, but, one that brings with it many benefits to buyers. With good ratings on Amazon, there are many reviews to its name.
Here are reasons why it might be what you need to split firewood this holiday:
- It is ideal for small to medium splitting tasks, which is somehow contrary to the above tools whose use stretch to medium and demanding work.
- Single-strike splits, thanks to x17 great design and efficiency ratio.
- Enjoy great swing speed reminiscent of aluminum bat ball, thanks to great power-to-ration output and perfect balance.
- Convex blade beveling adds to x17 great geometry, hence easy to remove from lumber.
- Buy putting money on this item; you are entitled to a lifetime manufacturer product warranty.
- The body and blade feature hardened and forged steel for durability.
- It has a non-stick blade coating.
- Lightweight FiberComp handle.
- Product dimensions: 28 x 8 x 3 inches.
- X17 is lightweight: 3.6 pounds.
4, Isocore Maul Reviews:
Fiskars Iso Core Maul, 8-pounds, 36-inch, 751110-1001
You may have become used to X-series, but it is noteworthy that the company also manufactures other models, which in our opinion, are worth the money. Take, for example, Fiskars Iso Core Maul, an ax that enjoys 5-star rating on Amazon. How good is that? Well, while it costs more than all the above, it is still affordable, not to mention that putting your money on it this holiday season is sure going to attract lucrative discounts.
Let’s cut a long story short by looking at its excellent features such as the following:
- Iso Core Maul features two blades on both ends, one for face splitting and the other for driving into wedges.
- You will experience penetration and blast through wood thanks to optimized tool geometry.
- When in use, the tool transfers 2x fewer shockwaves into your body, thanks to ergonomic patented Iso Core handles.
- It features an insulation sleeve to further guard your hands against stroking shock.
- Buyers enjoy a lifetime warranty.
- Heat treated, forged steel body and rust-proof coating ensure the tool’s longevity.
- Dimensions: 3.2 x 7.8 x 36 inches.
- Its shipping weight: 10.4 pounds.
- It has a broader head than x-series.
5, Fiskars X21 Reviews:
Fiskars Splitting Ax L x21
Given its success and innovativeness in manufacturing gardening, cooking and crafting tools, we present to you, yet another ax in the Fiskars x-series, namely x21. With more than 4.1 rating on Amazon, there is no doubt this is one of the best products on which to put money, albeit, a little pricey than x27 and x25. You not only need a tool that will make it easy to light a campfire this holiday season but also something you can use for the next many years. Thus, after digging up as much information as possible, we found out the following about Fiskars X21:
- The tool presents to users, a perfect balance and excellent swing speed.
- It is ideal for lightweight and heavyweight tasks.
- Lightweight 1.8 kilograms.
- The blade features a non-stick coating for easy withdrawal.
- It has ergonomic fiberglass to protect your hand from friction during cutting.
- X21 comes with a storage case, which means, fewer accidents when it is not in use.
- Product Dimensions: 76 x 21x 3.8 cm.
- It features a forged steel body hence durable.
Which One Should We Choose?
Sometimes putting money on a good ax is not the easiest of choices even if you know all of them by name. Thus, a question every buyer must ask is, how do I pick a suitable tool for my homesteading activities? Well, no worries because Morninghomestead helps you make the right decision. Here are is how to go about it.
Build and design
More often than not, feel, look, and appearance play significance in helping buyers choose the right products. That is not an exception when it comes to Fiskars range of axes. It should inform every step you make before adding to cart, a preferred product. Therefore, build, and design should get you asking important questions such as the following:
- How effective is the blade beveling?
- How does the tool’s geometry contribute to the success of splitting firewood?
- Do I need a heavy or lightweight tool, and why?
- Is forged steel construction better or I should put money on one with replaceable blade and hickory handle?
- Does my choice feature an ergonomic handle that will protect my hands from shock with every strike or chopping firewood is going to a painstaking experience?
- What about the tool length: Do I need a short or long-bladed tool and why?
Cost and discounts
Depending on the season you check into Amazon, prices may vary. When the year is entering homestretch like now, shopping events like Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Christmas often come with fantastic offers, giveaways, and discounts. All in all, pricing is, and should remain an essential determinant in buying decisions.
Brand and model
In this review, we have dwelt in Fiskars axes. And, while each has a different model number, the manufacturer (Brand) is the same. The catch here is that whenever you go out shopping for splitting tools, models and brands are an essential consideration in the grand scheme of things. Some are superior to the others, in which case, if you feel the X-27 model is the best, go for it.
Some of the most popular brands of out there include:
- Fiskars (X-series, Gerber, Waterford, Littala, and Wedgewood).
- Oak Curve Outfitters
Are Fiskars Axes Any Good?
Yes, Fiskars ranges of axes are arguably some of the best in the market, not to mention that they are worth your money. It is because of the following reasons:
- Established in 1649 in Finland, the endurance of these axes for more than three centuries is a pointer to their superiority and proof of continued market dominance. Today, the company trades its stock on Helsinki’s NASDAQ platform.
- Products from Fiskars are now available in more than 30 major cities worldwide, and it is because millions now identify with them as the best. On the company’s official website, tool categories include gardening and yard care, Kids and School, cooking, home improvement, crafting and sewing.
- The superior build of Fiskars products, most of which feature forged and hardened steel construction is a provision for longevity.
- The axes are notwithstanding designed for exceptional performance with every swing, often a manifest in deep chopping, non-stick blade coating, lightweight handles, perfect power-to-weight ratio and are also very detailed.
Where Are Fiskars Axes Made?
Most, if not all Fiskars Axes feature forged steel construction. It means; the handles and blades are not replaceable. It is nothing to worry about though because people who have experience using these tools do post great feedback, all the times.
The build is a provision for durability, not to mention that almost all of Fiskars axes come with a lifetime warranty to protect buyers from costs arising from manufacture faults and unusual wear and tear.
Sharpening a Fiskars Splitting Axe
Tool sharpening is a necessary evil. It is to say; at some point, the blade becomes blunt, and work efficiency reduces. However, you are not going to sharpen your ax anyhow, or it may end up damaging the convex blade beveling.
You need to use an ideal tool sharpening stone, file or put money on affordable Fiskars Xsharp, which we must admit, will not disappoint. That notwithstanding, newbies who have never used these axes can check out online tutorials such as YouTube videos on how to do it right.
Can You Use A Chopping Axe to Split Wood?
Yes, you can chop wood using a splitting ax. However, the work will not be as efficient as when using the ideal tool designed for such a task. It is noteworthy that blade design such as angle, beveling, and thickness play significance, so it is imperative to use your tool sparingly.
What Is the Proper Length to Cut Firewood?
If you are not for the ideas of placing an order for firewood near me, a good splitting ax will help reduce your costs significantly. But, the question is, do you know how to do it? What is the ideal firewood length? Well, the standard practice is 16-inches cutting length and measurements of 4 x 8 x 8 feet for secure cord packaging, a universal norm among wood sellers.
Wood Splitting Tricks
There are many reasons why splitting firewood important. People who sell fuel in cords or fractions do it to make packaging and shipping easy. Homesteaders would want to realize easy storage by cutting lumber into sizable portions. Moreover, campers do it for quick lighting and burning become, which, however, has nothing to do with whether wood has high or low BTU anyway.
The following are tricks that make it easy to split logs:
- Get your maul or ax ready.
- Wear protective gloves and clothing, if necessary.
- Look for the best surface.
- Next, make sure the wood is appropriately secured and positioned.
- Look for the split lines or wood grain.
- Assume the right standing position, hold your ax three-quarter way and strike with force.
Q: Should I care about the product warranty?
A: There is no other way to put it other than manufacturer warranties; however, limited will always go a long way in guarding your purchase against faults. So, yes, you should and must still care even when placing your order for an ax from Fiskars.
Q: Will I be charged shipping fees?
A: While this may not always apply to some areas closer to Amazon stores, standard international shipping fees and any other additional costs do. Please confirm your shipping order fees and cost breakdown.
Q: Will my ax come with a sharpener?
A: Well, unless otherwise, most of the products in this review do not. However, we would advise that you consider placing an order for Fiskars Xsharp, Lansky pack or Gransfors stone sharpeners.
Q: Are there safety concerns?
A: Apart from precautionary measures such as wearing protective gear when splitting wood, there is nothing to worry about when you put money on a quality Fiskars ax brand. The manufacturing process is not only supreme, but standardization rules and quality checks apply before they go live for sale online or offline.
Q: Who else needs an ax?
A: Let’s face it. An ax regardless of the manufacturer or model is one of the most versatile tools ever. Apart from wood chopping/splitting, it remains an excellent survivalist tool for those who have a penchant for camping every winter or summer. Moreover, some people use it for self-defense, especially small-size variations like Hatchets and tomahawks.
Here at Morninghomestead, we always try to provide buyers with dependable, insightful, experience-based and newsworthy product reviews. In the hope that this post comparing x27 vs. x25 vs. x21 vs. x17 has finally helped you settle on the right ax for the money, we would like to hear from you in the comment section below.
Do you have anything to add or ask? Go right ahead and let us know? Please remember to hit any of our social share buttons so your friends can find a useful and affordable tool this festive season.
How useful was this post?