Last Updated on June 17, 2023 by Georgie Smith
Even as popular as aquariums are in homes and businesses, it can be hard to find good aquarium stores near me that offer the best aquarium supplies. In this article, we will show you how and also a little “fishy business.”
Aquarium signifies one fish tank while aquaria or aquariums refer to multiple of them. An aquarium means a glass tank with one or more transparent sides that display and keeps plants and animals. The word aquarium originates from an English naturalist called Philip Henry Gosse.
It happens when he combines the Latin root aqua (which means water) with the suffix –arium (which mean “a place for relating.”
Furthermore, the chemist Robert Warrington developed aquarium in 1850 while explaining the exchange of gases between plants and animals. Gosse in early Victorian England massively popularized the term. We keep fishes, invertebrates, amphibians, aquatic reptiles and plants in aquaria.
We have small aquaria which contain water for fishes to swim placed in homes and offices. Also, large tank aquaria exist where bigger fishes swim too.
Ways to Find Best Aquarium Stores Near Me
Finding aquarium stores near you can be like finding a needle in a haystack without the adequate tools. I employed the following methods to find aquarium stores near me when looking for the best aquarium supplies. To help simplify things, I have organized the ways of finding aquarium stores near me into two classes viz:
This involves using conventional methods to get information about aquarium stores. I further classify the offline search into:
- Electronic Media: this includes local TV/Radio commercials
- Print Media: this includes newspapers, classified ads or local listings, magazines, business journals and so on.
- Word-of-mouth: this involves asking for a recommendation from others.
This involves the use of the internet to find answers to your search. This method largely reduces the dependence of offline search. The online search happens to be very accurate, fast, widespread, easy and convenient. With a computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone, click and all the information you need will appear. Online methods include:
- E-commerce platforms, blogs, and websites: Browsing the internet you will stumble on reliable sites, blogs, and e-commerce sites. However, exercise caution when using this method because of online scammers.
- Social Media Search: you can simply search on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and so on for people into the aquarium business. You will be surprised because the search result will go into millions.
- Google Map Search: the Google Map search can be beneficial in finding aquarium stores near you. Google Map displays the location of people or business around you. Type say, “Aquarium Stores Near Me,” into the search bar, the search results will amaze you. It works very fast while displaying the location, traffic information, and direction to those places accurately.
From Google Map, I was able to locate some aquarium stores around me in the US:
- Fishtown USA, a self-acclaimed leader in the tropical fish industry boasting of more than 250 exotic tropical fishes. With about 181 reviews and 4.0 customer ratings, you should try them at their location 196-33 Northern Blvd, Flushing, NY 11358, US.
- Coast Gem USA imports fancy goldfish, bettas and tropical fishes for wholesale and retail. With a 4.5 customer rating and 86 fantastic reviews and located at 669 Palomar Street, G. Chula Vista, CA 91911, US. We suggest you try them.
- Aqua Forest Aquarium boasts of being the first Nature Aquarium in the US. They stock everything from live plant to quality equipment and so on. With a review of 87 and a rating of 4.3, check them at 1718 Fillmore Street, San Francisco, CA 94115, US.
- Amazon: the largest e-commerce platform in the world stands tall to help you find the best aquarium supplies. Whatever you are looking for, you will get on Amazon. From simple stationeries to more complicated equipment, Amazon stocks them all. Below we have some of Amazon’s best aquarium supplies for sale:
|Tetra LED Cube Shaped 3 Gallon
|– Brand – Tetra
– Color – Clear/black
– Material – Plastic
|Aqueon Betta Falls Kit
|– Brand – Aqueon
– Color – Black
– Material – Acrylic
|MarineLand Portrait Glass LED Aquarium Kit
|– Brand – MarineLand
– Color – Black
– Material – Glass
|AquaClear Power Filters – 110V
|– Easy to clean
– Suction power
|Tetra Whisper Easy to Use Air Pump
|– Color – NO Color
– Brand – Tetra
– Corded Electric
|Uniclife UL400 Submersible Water Pump
|– Brand – Uniclife
– Submersible Water Pump
– Battery Powered
|TetraMin Nutritionally Balanced Tropical Flake Food
|– Brand – Tetra
– Flavor – Fish
– Large Breeds
|TetraMin Tropical Flakes
|– Brand – Tetra
– Flavor – Fish
– Item Form – Flake
|Aqueon Pro Adjustable Heater, 100W
|– Color – Blacks & Grays
– Brand – Aqueon
– Weight – 0.6 Pounds
Top 9 Aquarium Equipment and Supplies on The Market:
Who does not like watching beautiful goldfishes swim in a transparent glass tank? For aquarium enthusiasts, we have packaged the best aquarium supplies to meet your needs. Our expert painstakingly came up with our top ten list of aquarium equipment and supplies. Please read on and make an informed buying decision.
Tetra LED Cube Shaped 3 Gallon Aquarium with Pedestal Base
If you need a perfect starter aquarium for your kitchen, dormitory, classroom or offices, do not walk away from the Tetra Cube Aquarium Kit. The sleek and seamless tank fits perfectly into almost anywhere. The transparent tank makes for a unique and exciting panoramic view of your aquarium. Tetra Cube aquarium comes with a plastic lid and a three-gallon plastic tank both of which cannot crack and break.
Buy On Amazon
Aqueon Betta Falls Kit
When elegance and unique design becomes a charge, Aqueon Betta Falls Kit stands out. This contemporary 3-compartment aquarium will be a perfect addition to your home or office. It comes with a compact, curved design and cascading waterfalls making it a stylish masterpiece.
Buy On Amazon
MarineLand Portrait Glass LED Aquarium Kit
The Marineland Aquarium stands out from the rest of the pack in that it comes with a curved five-gallon glass tank. The curved corners of the tank give a beautiful view of the fishes from different sides. It comes equipped with a 3-stage hidden filtration, Bio-Foam, and an adjustable flow filter pump. Additionally, it has two energy-efficient LED light and a 3-way switch to swap between white, blue only, white and blue then offsetting.
Buy On Amazon
AquaClear Power Filters – 110V
A filter helps to maintain a clean environment for the fish to thrive within your aquarium. Recall that you cannot have an aquarium without an excellent filter and just any filter will not do. Therefore, we give you the AquaClear Power Filter, a filter that works hard to rid your aquarium of wastes.
Buy On Amazon
Tetra Whisper Easy-to-Use Air Pump for Aquariums (Non-UL)
An air pump helps aerate the water in your aquarium. The Tetra Whisper air pump can aerate aquariums of capacity ranging from 10 to 100 gallons.
Buy On Amazon
Uniclife 400GPH Submersible Pump 25W Fountain Water Pump with 5.9ft Power Cord
This submersible pump works perfectly with water fountains, aquariums, ponds, fish tanks, tabletop fountains, water garden,s and hydroponic systems. The detachable multifunctional pump comes with an adjustable water flow control that controls the flow rate. It stimulates your fish tank to feel like a natural pond or river to your fish.
Buy On Amazon
TetraMin Nutritionally Balanced Tropical Flake Food for Tropical Fish
Fishes cannot talk or make an exciting sound to express excitement when they are happy; however, they have unique ways of showing their happiness. When feeding them with tasty food, they would swim fast to the surface to snatch the food and back down again to show their joy. Feed them with the TetraMin Tropical Flake food, and you would see them go as it drops to the water surface.
Buy On Amazon
TetraMin Tropical Flakes
The TetraMin company has improved its fish feed to aid the fishkeeper in success. The upgraded formula comes with nutritionally balanced food to support fish health. Because all fishes come with varying mouth position means different feeding styles. Based on studies by experts the TetraMin Tropical Flakes was formulated to take care of fishes with upturned mouths.
Tetra from studies formulated feeds unique to every fish’s feeding style. Based on the preceding, TetraMin came up a long menu of feed for diverse fish needs. Whether your fish feeds from the bottom, the top or middle, they have food for them. It comes fortified with nutrients in balanced proportion.
Buy On Amazon
Aqueon Pro Adjustable Heater, 100W
The Aqueon Pro Heaters come with a durable, non-corrosive shell for strength and even heat distribution. With the Aqueon Heater, you need not worry about overheating because of its electronic thermostat. The thermostat makes for accurate temperature settings and safety. For ease of detection when working: the heater’s LED power indicator turns red when working and green when set at the desired temperature.
Whether you have fresh water or saltwater aquarium, Aqueon heater will take care of business for you. Also, you can position the heater any way you like – horizontally or vertically. (pdf)
Buy On Amazon
Things You Need for a Fish Tank
Most people have the mindset that keeping fishes requires little or no efforts. However, this post will show you that keeping fishes need utmost care. That care starts with preparing the fish tank. Before you set up your fish tank, you might want to know the equipment involved in the project.
A poorly prepared fish tank will kill any creature kept in it. Your fish tank must be in perfect condition for it to be inhabitable to water creatures. The temperature, the chemical composition, and other elements all must be perfect. To get you started, see our checklist of the items needed for your aquarium:
- The Tank
- The Stand
- Filtration System
- Water Conditioner
- Fish Net
- Test Kits
- Algae Scrubber
- Algae Magnet
- Water Bucket
At times sellers sell a combo package that has some components of an aquarium. You can use this list to determine what you want to in the package. However, as a DIY person, you can use this list to purchase you needed items separately at a more affordable price.
Where Can You Buy Live Fish?
There are many fish shops (online and offline) that sell live fishes be it tropical or marine ones. We have already highlighted under the sub-topic: “Ways to find best aquarium stores near me” different aquarium stores. Please refer to the subtopic to discover the options available to you. It would interest you to know that these stores do not only sell aquaria and accessories, they also sell fishes.
We have researched a few online names that sell live fishes, and here we have the top 5 online fish stores for you:
- Livefishdirect offers a vast variety of tropical fishes and boasts of being the most extensive tropical fish farm outside of Florida. Why not check their site out now?
- Thatpetplace started back in 1973 but joined the online community in 1996 to offer everything for many pet owners including a saltwater section for those with the marine aquarium. Click to see what they have.
- Saltwaterfish sells saltwater fish, tanks, corals, invertebrates, and aquarium. They even have chat platform where hobbyists meet. Why not visit them now?
- Liveaquaria has been in business for almost 20 years offering one of the best shopping experience possible for both freshwater and marine fishes, corals and lots more. You need to visit their site right away to see things for yourself.
- Amazon came into being in 1994 and since has become a household name in online shopping. They have just about anything on their site for sale, you only need to type what you want on their search bar, and the results will wow you. Browse their website for live fish, and you will see the array of fishes, coral, etc. on display. Saltwater or freshwater, it does not matter they have it all.
How Often Does a Freshwater Tank Need to Be Cleaned?
Cleaning your aquarium depends on the size of your tank, type, and a number of fishes, your filter system, etc. Read our recommended schedules for cleaning your aquarium below:
You do not necessarily need to clean your tank daily. However, you can make a daily routine check on it as follows:
- Watch the fishes as they swim, play and eat to detect any sluggishness
- Monitor the conditions of your fishes and remove any dead fish
- Check the color, scales, and fins of the fishes for any bad sign
- Ensure the fishes are not stressed or gulping for air. Carry out a partial water change if you notice them gulping for air.
Experts recommend a once per week water change to keep your tank clean as follows:
- Remove about one-fourth of the water from the tank
- Clean the gravel with an aquarium vacuum
- Remove excess algae from the decorations and tank with a scraper or sponge.
For established aquaria with healthy fishes, you are only required to test the water only once a month. The test must include ammonia, nitrate, and pH level testing which you must record. The record must remain a bit steady month in and month out. Clean the filter cartridges and media once a month.
Two times a year, turn off and unplug all the equipment in the aquarium. After that do a thorough inspection of the whole aquarium equipment and accessories. Replace worn-out or bad parts.
Experts advised against deep cleaning of the aquarium and equipment because it distorts the balanced state of the aquarium. Deep cleaning involves a total shutdown and scrubbing of the aquarium. If you follow the first four routines, this last one might not be necessary.
Q: My aquarium water gives off a hazy color. Why?
A: Many reasons can cause cloudy aquarium water, and it depends on the color, as below:
- Green Cloudy water results when an annoying type of algae infests your aquarium. The algae responsible can be a handful to handle.
Solution: keep your fish tank away from direct sunlight, change the water and use a water filter.
- Cloudy White water results due to a bacteria bloom, which happens to a new setup aquarium. Note that the bloom does not last. Furthermore, hazy white color can occur when you make above 50 percent water change or when you wash the filter. Also, overstocking and overfeeding can lead to a light haze.
Q: Why are my fish dying one after the other?
A: When your fishes die, it means the tank has become inhabitable. They will keep dying unless you address the cause and the cause may be from many reasons, thus:
- The presence of toxins in the water – can lead to the death of fish. In a new aquarium especially, the water will go through the stage of turning ammonia to nitrate. If this process continues unhindered, it will make the nitrate hit a toxic level that will kill your fish.
Solution: Make a 10-15 percent water change every day
- Water contamination – some ornaments or other aquarium components may be contaminated, and once it gets into the water, it pollutes it.
Solution: Change the water, remove all ornaments – newly added or not and wash them properly. Add water conditioner into the water to make it fish-safe.
- Disease outbreak – at times there might be an outbreak of disease in your tank. Although this might not be common, the possibility exists. Ensure you rid your fish tank of wastes and impurities. Cover the tank properly to avoid external particles falling into it.
Q: I love watching my fish swim and should I leave my lights on for as long as I like?
A: Obviously, you cannot leave the light on for too long. Your fish needs some time to rest after the daylight. You should know that fishes sleep also, and they do that at night. For this reason, do not let the aquarium light be left on for 24 hours, it will affect your fish’s health.
Q: How many fishes can I keep in my tank?
A: Well, to start with let us consider one fish per gallon of water. Therefore, if you have a 3-gallon capacity tank, then expectedly, you can keep three fishes in it. Furthermore, for large fishes, you can only keep one fish per three gallons of water. Then it means that you can just keep on big fish you in your 3-gallon aquarium.
Now that you know all you need to about fishes and maintaining an aquarium, nothing should stop you. Since you now know the aquarium stores near you and how to find the best aquarium supplies, you should be unstoppable. Therefore, you have no excuse why you should not make your order right away. We have highlighted all you need, where to get them, how much they cost, and so on to ease your stress.
An aquarium adds immensely to the beauty of your room or office. Some people said watching fishes swim can be a relaxing activity. Why not transform your office or home into a therapy center –when things become challenging you to get to the aquarium corner for some healing?
Why Choose Us?
Our experts are ever digging to discover intellectual resources that would improve your life and buying decisions. We at Morning Homestead are poised to keep servicing you with insightful articles about trending and useful products for you. From tools to animal care, gardens, diet and so on, you will get what you want.
We love hearing from our readers, therefore, leave us a message in our comment section, and one of us will respond promptly. We would like to thank you one more time for your valuable time.