When it comes to lawn care and maintenance practices, mowing is not an end in itself as many tend to think. Professional landscapers do more to maintain thick fodder in the grass and other vegetation in homesteads, soccer pitches, resting parks and golf courses. For efficient water seepage, nutrients and air flow, to and from the root zone, there is the need to spike, core or plug the soil every often.
- Best Walk Behind Aerator: 2019 Reviews (Top Picks) and Guide
- Spike Aerator vs. Plug Aerator vs. Core Aerator: What works?
- Best Manual Lawn Aerator for the Money: 2019 Reviews and Guide
It is a question of whether you are aerating your lawn unconventionally; something which calls for an upgrade to the latest Yard Buddy Tow Behind model or where to find other brands that befit a definition of the best pull behind plug aerator. Cost maybe something to worry about for some people, but that will not be the case once you finish reading this review.
In a nutshell, a run-through this post should help you do the following:
- Choose top best pull behind plug aerators
- Make a wise decision regarding pricing of different products so that one does not have to overstretch his or her spending limits and still take home, a befitting pull plug aerator.
- Understand essential factors/features to consider when shopping for ideal equipment for the money
- Find answers to questions that buyers ask
- Recommend the best item to a friend, a landscaping enthusiast or neighbor struggling to keep their lawns in good shape
Well, pull-behinds are also known as tow-behind. You may also want to call them walk-in-front. This post will focus on plug aerators (pull-behind). However, first things first, what are some of the best brands for the money?
- 1 Top Brands
- 2 Top 6 Best Pull Behind Plug Aerators for The Money:
- 2.1 Agri-Fab 45-0299 48-Inch Plug Aerator
- 2.2 Brinly PA-40BH Tow-Behind Plug Aerator, 40-Inch
- 2.3 Brinly AS-40 Tow-Behind Combination Aerator-Spreader, 40-inch
- 2.4 Brinly SAT-40BH Tow-Behind Spike Aerator with Transport Wheels, 40-Inch
- 2.5 Agri-Fab 45-0474 SmartLink Plug Aerator
- 2.6 John Deere 48-Inch Tow-Behind Plug Aerator
- 3 How to Choose the Best One? Important Factors:
- 4 Thatch or Aerate Your Lawn?
- 5 How to Keep Your Lawn Always Green And Healthy?
- 6 FAQs:
- 6.1 Q: Why is it essential to dethatch?
- 6.2 Q: Why are plugs better than Spikes?
- 6.3 Q: What is the main difference between a scarifier and aerators?
- 6.4 Q: How do I keep my aerator in good shape?
- 6.5 Q: What are the prerequisites for aerating?
- 6.6 Q: How much will I spend on a walk behind aerating equipment?
- 7 Lawn Aerator Rental Near me
- 8 Conclusion
- 9 How useful was this post?
People always buy products based on their taste and preferences. Some are loyal to specific brands to which they assign supreme quality and efficiency. With top manufacturers such as Billy Goat, John Deere, Brinly, Agri-Fab, Exmark, Classen, Blue Bird and many others there is always competing for a fair share of the market.
Brands that have created higher retention value in the minds of buyers boast of many years of service and substantial profit margins. However, that aside, getting to know the specific details of a given product, say, Billy Goat’s AET Towable (tow behind) aerator series and the variations between competition models will make you a wiser buyer than before.
Sometimes, it depends on whether you need a tool for commercial or large-scale use, in which case, Blue Bird’s TA10 or TA12 towable series comes in handy.
Then there are models like 48-Inch ProCore Plug aerating equipment from John Deere, which even though may be a little costly, gets one a little curious. Moreover, those who like anything from Agri-Fab may want to consider its 40-inch Plug variant, 45-0518 to boost homesteading skills and prowess.
Top 6 Best Pull Behind Plug Aerators for The Money:
Now, Morninghomestead has put together some of the best tow-behind aerators for the money. The following products, therefore, make it to the top of the list as the best of the best on the market today. Take a look:
|Agri-Fab 45-0299 48-Inch Plug Aerator||- It has a cantilever
- A 3-year product warranty
- Made in the U.S
|Brinly PA-40BH Tow-Behind Plug Aerator||- Measures up to 40-inches in diameter
- Accommodates extra weight of up to 150 pounds
- Plug up to a depth of 3-inches
- Steel tines
|Brinly AS-40 Tow-Behind Combination Aerator-Spreader||- The extra load of up to 120 pounds
- Steel-galvanized tines
- A unique design of 2-n-1
- Plug up to 2-inches deep
|Brinly SAT-40BH Tow-Behind Spike Aerator with Transport Wheels||- Tines feature steel galvanization
- Plugs up to a depth of 2-inches
- Steel body
- Carries extra 100 pounds of weight
|Agri-Fab 45-0474 SmartLink Plug Aerator||- Good for loosening compact soil
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
- Features aluminum galvanization
|John Deere 48-Inch Tow-Behind Plug Aerator||- 48-inch width
- Top quality steel body
- Strong, steel plugs
Agri-Fab 45-0299 48-Inch Plug Aerator
What more can a landscaper ask for if not a machine that will cover vast swathes of the lawn during aeration? With this product from Agri-Fab, you get just that, thanks to 48-Inch aerating width. However, that is not all that comes with it. Buyers have been giving a nod of approval to this tool because of more reasons such as the following:
- A 3-year product warranty. You will not spend a dime on maintenance costs and replacement parts for up to three years.
- This product traces its origin to the U.S. It means you can expect nothing but the best.
- It has a cantilever which you will find comfortable, and that means levering it high or low meets everyone’s wish.
Brinly PA-40BH Tow-Behind Plug Aerator, 40-Inch
Brinly, a leading manufacturer of top farming tools and equipment boast of quality and expertise. It may sound unconvincing for someone who has never tried its products given the many brand names on the market today.
However, as you are about to find, Brinly PA-40BH aerator tow behind presents everything one will be looking for in a tool.
- It measures up to 40-inches in diameter, and that means more work in less time.
- It features a sturdy steel body for longevity so that you do not have to worry about wear and tear for a good number of years.
- Accommodates extra weight of up to 150 pounds and with that, you can be sure of deeper soil penetration when in use.
- Features steel tines that will never disappoint even if the soil is compact and can Plug up to a depth of 3-inches.
- Meets all your maneuverability requirements, thanks to natural to operate wheels.
Brinly AS-40 Tow-Behind Combination Aerator-Spreader, 40-inch
It would interest you to note that Brinly diversifies into equipment that meets the needs of different clients. With this its AS-40 Pull behind series, there is a lot you get from one tool.
- Can carry an extra load of up to 120 pounds so you can realize deeper soil penetration during aeration.
- Has steel-galvanized tines to guard against rust.
- Ideal for compact soil and can plug up to 2-inches deep.
- Features a unique design of 2-n-1 because you will be able to use AS-40 not just as an aerator but also for seeding and fertilizer application.
Brinly SAT-40BH Tow-Behind Spike Aerator with Transport Wheels, 40-Inch
There are many reasons why buyers love the Brinly range of aerating machines. However, the variety and affordability top the list. SAT-40BH, another device in its series comes at the most opportune time so that you can buy something for the money. It does not end there though.
- Tines feature steel galvanization for protection against rust
- Pulls plug up to a depth of 2-inches
- Strong steel body which can hold extra 100 pounds of weight so that user gets to realize more penetration
- Wheels you can engage on the go and achieve more comfortable transport across pathways when in use
Agri-Fab 45-0474 SmartLink Plug Aerator
In a bid to provide buyers with a range of products, Agri-Fab manufactures SmartLINK pull behind aerators. The prices are affordable even as you get to enjoy the following:
- Proper plugging, which means there will be an enhancement of water and nutrient penetration to the deep roots for healthier-looking lawns.
- SmartLink Tow behind is also ideal for someone looking for a machine that will boost air circulation
- You will mount this product on a master platform, and the good news is that you do not need to disassemble or assemble anything.
- Features aluminum galvanization on the aerating knives for longevity.
- Good for loosening compact soil
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
John Deere 48-Inch Tow-Behind Plug Aerator
For years John Deere has been able to satisfy consumers around the globe with its top of the range farm implements. Moreover, if you are looking for one of the best pull behind aerators, here is something for money.
- Cover more area during aeration, thanks to a 48-inch width
- Top quality steel body
- Penetrates compact soil with great ease, thanks to durable plugs
How to Choose the Best One? Important Factors:
You would not want to spend money on products that will fail the test of time by breaking after weeks or fail to work due to functionality hitches or glitches. For these and other concerns, buyers ought to factor in things that describe the best pull behind aerating machines.
For example, you may want to weigh into prospects of a tool serving its purpose efficiently. Also, what about the tool’s efficiency? Well, below are some top considerations to make before adding to cart when buying from Amazon.
Here, many questions come to mind. For example, what is the best size of aerating machine? What about the size of spikes; diameter and depth? A befitting answer should lend credence to the best tow-behind aerator because you will not only cover a broad swath of your lawn in the backyard or a football pitch but also helps one finish a hefty task in no time.
Ease of Movement
Also known as maneuverability, an aerator should be able to move across lawns without difficulty. It means buyers must look into the design of wheels in pull behinds, something which is not the case for those who want to buy aerating shoes. Are you able to move your machine through narrow work areas? What about ease of taking sharp corners?
Now, come to think about it. You buy Agri-Fab 45-0474 SmartLink Plug Aerator only for it to break down in a couple of days or weeks. It vindicates value for money as an essential factor to consider when purchasing homesteading equipment. A Product that features a sturdy body say steel; galvanized or reinforced, equals durability as a vital determinant for purchase decisions.
For many years now, prices have always swayed decisions of buyers. However, the question is; would you instead go for a low-cost aerator or an expensive one? There could be mixed reactions to this question, but the fact that people always prospect for price value before committing to purchase remains a timeless truth.
Sometimes, cheap can be expensive, but not always the case with affordable pull behinds like the Agri-Fab 45-0299 48-Inch Plug Aerator.
Warranty and Money-Back Guarantee
Most buyers hardly give a second thought to their decisions, especially after finding affordable landscaping tools. However, eagle-eyed ones will always check out or ask for product warranty before closing sales. The question is; why?
Well, tow-behind aerators that come with product warranty are sweet offers in every essence. First of all, you will not worry about manufacturing faults for up to say three years, after which, the warranty expires. Secondly, all repair costs fall back to the seller, manufacturer or supplier, which means you will not spend a penny for a long as the product is still under the protection of warranty in case of such faults.
However, if you damage the tool, the cost of repair or acquiring a new one squarely falls into your pockets. Moreover, when it comes to a money-back guarantee, it has to be within a period of say, 30-days. It is something like a free product trial, during which you get to experience the efficiency of your item. You are free to return it for replacement or refund if a landscaping tool fails to meet your expectations.
Another vital factor buyers must consider when shopping for pull behind plug aerators is the load capacity. The question here is; how much extra load can you add? Is there a space for it? Different products present different provisions for this. Having extra weight is a recipe for deeper plugging.
Thatch or Aerate Your Lawn?
Lawns are some of the most beautiful physical sightings around. For a fact, homes that do not harbor lush, green and thick grass vegetation are hardly inviting even to their owners. However, if you have spotted a few state-of-the-art and well-maintained surroundings in the neighborhood, a few questions must have been racing through your mind.
For example, what tools do professional landscapers use to create appealing homesteads? Do they dethatch or aerate, and how often? Well, whether you want to do either or both, the two are vital necessities for bloom and lush grassy compounds. 
If you choose to dethatch and aerate on the same day, the former comes first. To create more air spaces in the soil and enhance water-fertilizer intake (aeration), it is imperative to; first of all, remove organic deposits on top of the soil (thatch). It could be a more viable activity during routine lawn care and maintenance in spring or fall.
However, you can merely dethatch outside these seasons to avoid subjecting grass to undue pressure and damage. Sometimes, the organic layer on top of the soil is all your lawn needs not only as nutrients but also as mulch. It helps maintain moisture in the soil during dry seasons. However, if there is a reliable sprinkler system for the turf, dethatching is something a landscaper should partake in every so often.
|Removal of organic deposits on top of the earth||Digging holes or creating plugs in the ground|
|Use a scarifier||Use an aerator|
|Every so often||Once or twice a year (fall/spring)|
How to Keep Your Lawn Always Green And Healthy?
While is not rocket science to grow lush grass and greener turf in homesteads, many people still think nature can take care of itself. In truth, humans should take care of the environment, including, but not limited to lawn care and maintenance of turf. Before looking into how to do this, here are some benefits that come with being conscious about lawns:
- Beautiful surroundings/homesteads, sports stadiums/golf courses
- A healthy nitrogen cycle
- People feel happy and healthy living in areas surrounded by well-manicured gardens.
- Attractive homesteads bring peace of mind
- Air purification
Now, when it comes to keeping lawns green and healthy all the time, here is what you need to do:
- Watering using the best sprinkler installation so that no place is left out. Turf needs water to grow, respire and carry out photosynthesis. Rains do not fall every day. Does it?
- The same way you add fertilizers to your organic garden, routine application of fertilizers on lawns is necessary.
- Weeding out unwanted plants/herbs/bushes from the midst of grass vegetation eliminates competition for nutrients, water, and air. As a result, lawns grow healthier, thicker and lushly.
- Remove thatch if it exceeds 2-inches thick.
- Lawn mowing helps keep the turf in shape and also enhances the thickness of fodder.
- Seeding (overseeding), an activity that is most effective during aerating is equally crucial. Grass dies due to heavy activity, compact soil and unfavorable weather.
- Aeration is another vital lawn care activity for greener and healthy vegetation. While this post advocates for using the best tow behind aerators, you can also check out these top of the range walk behind aerating equipment. 
Q: Why is it essential to dethatch?
A: Dead organic and inorganic material on top of earth prevents the flow of water and nutrients into the ground. It means, removing the deposits works towards healthier access to these necessities by the root system. Keep checking the soil surface to be sure the layer of thatch does not exceed 2-inches, beyond which it becomes detrimental to the survival of lawns.
Q: Why are plugs better than Spikes?
A: While both work the same way, plugs remove soil and instead of compacting it. They are, therefore, a favorite of many landscapers. You can compare Plug Aerator vs. Core Aerator vs Spike Aerator here.
Q: What is the main difference between a scarifier and aerators?
A: It is easy to mistake a scarifier for a spike aerator because it equally has spikes. A scarifier removes organic deposits on top of the earth (dethatching) while aerating equipment digs holes in the soil to boost the flow of air circulation and nutrients.
Q: How do I keep my aerator in good shape?
A: Technically, this is a question of maintenance and servicing. While the primary role of ensuring the equipment retains its efficiency ratio falls on the owner who must keep it clean, in safe custody and oil moving parts. There may be instances where one must hire professional maintenance and repair service providers to take care of complicated mechanical issues.
Q: What are the prerequisites for aerating?
A: Before moving a tow behind over the backyard lawn, it is advisable to prepare the area. Since you will be walking in front, one cannot see obstacles that may hinder smooth movement of the equipment as opposed to walk-behind aerators. Therefore, mark areas with sprinkler systems such as taps and pipes using flags. Also, steer clear of dog fences.
Q: How much will I spend on a walk behind aerating equipment?
A: Cost is a very emotive issue when it comes to buying homesteading apparatus. It is because people do not want to spend their money on just anything but that which will meet expectations. Brands play a part here. From Classen’s 4-inch spike tow behind, Ryan’s Lawnaire® Pull behind Plug to Strongway 48-Inch Tow behind Plug aerator, there is always something affordable for everyone. (Details at: Best Walk Behind Aerator)
Lawn Aerator Rental Near me
With many products to choose from, it can be tricky to land an ultimate landscaping tool for the money. It could be because one has limited knowledge regarding the best or he or she has been buying through proxies. However, when it comes to personally going out there to shop, you must be ready for the challenge with hands-on tools information.
Consider this scenario. You walk into a shop or check out Amazon, search for aerating equipment then Brinly AS-40 Tow-Behind Combination Aerator and Brinly SAT-40BH Tow-Behind Spike Aerator with Transport Wheels, both of which measure 40-inches, show up, how do you proceed from there?
While experienced shoppers will zero into more product particulars such as number and size of spikes, brand names and so on, amateurs may hit a dead end under such circumstances.
Morninghomestead put together this comprehensive review to help you make wise buying decisions because of it that are dependable, trustworthy, reliable and most-current product specifications. Please hit the share button and pass this vital information across social media and other platforms to help others who may be having difficulties finding the best pull behind plug aerator. Do not forget to share your views in the comment section below.
How useful was this post?