Dead organic materials such as branches, logs, twigs, leaves, bark peelings and grass clippings are some of the most underrated nature’s provisions in homesteading practices. In fact, they are, most of the times, the bridge between a gardener’s quest for a soil richly endowed with nutrients and lush green gardens.
In this review, Morninghomestead takes a look at the Best Wood Chippers, and the aim is to not only advice gardening enthusiasts on ideal products for everyone’s wood chipping needs, but also give them a glimpse into among other things; product specifications so they can make the right buying decision.
- Best Table Saw Blade for Ripping Hardwood/Plywood/Oak: 2019 Reviews and Guide
- Best Hand Saw for Cutting Trees or Firewood: Reviews and Guide (2019)
- Best Hatchet for Splitting Kindling and Wood: 2019 Reviews and Guide
- 1 What is a Wood Chipper?
- 2 The Advantages of Using a Chipper/Shredder
- 3 Top 7 Best Wood Chippers for Home Use or Small Farm:
- 3.1 Sun Joe CJ602E-GRY Wood Chipper/Shredder, Grey
- 3.2 PowerSmart Electric Chipper Shredder
- 3.3 Sun Joe 14Amp Electric Wood Chipper/Shredder
- 3.4 GreatCircleUSA 7HP Heavy Duty Wood Chipper
- 3.5 Tazz 22752 K33 Chipper Shredder-301cc 4-Cycle Viper Engine
- 3.6 Earthquake Chipper Shredder with 205cc 4-Cycle Briggs and Stratton
- 3.7 Patriot Products CSV-3100B 10 HP Briggs and Stratton Gas-Powered Wood Chipper/Leaf Shredder
- 4 Features to Look for the Right One:
- 5 Electric Wood Chippers vs. Gas Wood Chippers: What works?
- 6 What to Do with Fresh Wood Chips?
- 7 How Long Does Mulch Need to Age?
- 8 Commercial Wood Chip Composting Advice
- 9 Wood Chipper Safety:
- 10 FAQs:
- 11 Verdict
- 12 How useful was this post?
What is a Wood Chipper?
The practice of reducing dead organic materials into fine shreds and chips has been around for years now. However, things have changed for the better and it because a task that used to be complicated for the handyman is now easy, thanks to a pull behind garden-size tractor-mount machine known as a wood chipper. 
The Advantages of Using a Chipper/Shredder
A machete or a tomahawk will not chip dead branches or any other organic waste to suitable sizes as would a chipper/shredder. Thus, the following are the merits of using the chipping tool to fulfill your gardening/landscaping goals:
- By helping you reduce dead wood into small chips, disposal of dead and bulky organic matter is comfortable with the use of a shredder.
- The machine also gives you the upper hand of using end products gainfully in your garden as mulch or compost.
- In municipalities where burning of dead organic waste, landfills, and dumping is illegal landscaping practices, something must take place. Here is where a chipper comes in. A chipper relieves you from the stress of disposing of dead branches, trees and leaves inappropriately. In a nutshell, it turns the situation into a hobby. 
Top 7 Best Wood Chippers for Home Use or Small Farm:
If you are looking for something that fits any budget and gives you more value for money, then read on to find out why we recommend Sun Joe CJ602E-GRY 15Amp, PowerSmart PS10 15Amp and San Joe CJ601E 14Amp below.
Sun Joe CJ602E-GRY Wood Chipper/Shredder, Grey
Over the years, Sun Joe has been a market leader in manufacturing electrical appliances. So, what will you get after putting money on Sun Joe Wood Chipper/Shredder? We ventured into a fact-finding mission and came up with the following:
- It is an exceptional tool for turning or reducing the debris in your backyard into mulch richly endowed with nutrients.
- With a blade speed of up to 4,300 revolutions every minute, efficiency is a guarantee.
- Sun Joe CJ602E-GRY features a 15-amp motor power, making it possible to chip through 1-5 inches thick limbs and sticks.
- No smoke/fumes or switching on inconveniences. It is plug and ready to go.
- It also has a compact design.
- Sun Joe CJ602E-GRY is a highly portable machine, thanks to its 5-inch wheels.
- There are a safety hopper and a locking knob that prevents the machine from running when open. Moreover, the fact that it is ETL approved gives you peace of mind.
- Moreover, it is easy to assemble the machine, not to mention low maintenance cost that comes with owning one.
Buy this item from Amazon today and enjoy a 2-year product warranty.
PowerSmart Electric Chipper Shredder
Next on the list of wood chippers is the PowerSmart Electric Chipper Shredder. For those who have used this machine to reduce dead wood into materials used for their gardening needs, they probably did buy it because of the following reasons:
- It chips branches as thick as 1.625-inches into helpful mulch for your garden.
- The machine is also very portable, thanks to its lightweight nature at only 33 pounds.
- You also get to enjoy efficient motor power rated at 15-amp (120V, 60HZ).
- Just like Sun Joe CJ602E-GRY, PowerSmart PS10 comes fitted with safety locking known to prevent its blades from turning on when open.
- It also has overload protection, thanks to an overload switch preventing the motor and other internal components from damage.
- It is suitable for both small and medium shredding jobs.
Sun Joe 14Amp Electric Wood Chipper/Shredder
Wood chipping machines from San Joe caught our attention, and so after making a few comparisons with other brands, San Joe 14Amp Electric Wood Chipper/Shredder also made it to our review, and it is not for nothing.
So, why put your money on this machine?
- Turn dead branches and twigs in your backyard into useful garden mulch using San Joe CJ601E.
- With a 14-amp motor power, efficiency is chipping is all you get with this tool.
- You also get to move it around your garden with great ease, thanks to a 6-inch wheel and compactness.
- No cause for alarm when the machine is open because it has a safety hopper locking knob to keep it from running.
- It has ETL approved a further guarantee that it meets the highest safety standards.
When you buy San Joe CJ601E from Amazon, you will find a user manual in the package containing all the instructions for installation, including troubleshooting tips. It also comes with a two-year manufacturer warranty.
Because having a wide variety of products to choose from also means various price ranges, we looked high and low. We found several low-cost Chippers on Amazon that we want to share with you. Below, you will see wood chippers that all budgets can afford.
GreatCircleUSA 7HP Heavy Duty Wood Chipper
From the Great Circle Machinery, we bring you this gas-powered wood chipper. However, before looking at it is specs, it is noteworthy that GreatCircleUSA 7HP Heavy Duty 212cc chipper is CARB AND EPA approved.
Here are its particulars:
- It has a comfortable volume chipping functionality, thanks to its top 3-in-1 top hopper design (multi-function).
- It features a vacuum inlet fitted to a side chute ideal for small limbs and branches.
- Powerful gas engine with a 7HP.212cc makes it an efficient tool every day.
- Operates on unleaded gasoline and you only need 0.7-gallon capacity to start working.
- Chips wood measuring up to 3-inches without lags.
- Even with a 3-year product warranty, buyers who order this item from Amazon still have access to unlimited customer support from the Great Circle Machinery any time and any day.
Tazz 22752 K33 Chipper Shredder-301cc 4-Cycle Viper Engine
The second product for wood chipping in our list is from Tazz Chipper Shredders: Tazz 22752 K33. The question is; apart from buyers enjoying a 5-year manufacturer warranty, what else is compelling about this chipping machine?
Well, the following are reasons why homesteaders put their money on it:
- It is a portable machine for use anywhere around your homestead and outside, thanks to 11-inch non-deflate wheels.
- A minimalist tool that still gives you efficiency when in use (measures 25.4 by 29.9 inches).
- It has a vacuum kit and in-class-rotor fitting.
- It also features a bag for collecting debris with dock-and-lock.
- A powerful engine and a gasoline capacity of 301cc.
Earthquake Chipper Shredder with 205cc 4-Cycle Briggs and Stratton
Briggs and Stratton have bought stakes in some of the market’s top chipper shredder brands, and the Earthquake Chipper Shredder is a testament of the company’s continued excellence. It is because of the following reasons:
- It features heavy-duty chipping hammers and knives.
- It has a debris reduction ration of 20:1, which means, for 20 bags of raw waste, the machine shreds them to fit into a single sack as the final product.
- The machine lets you mulch most all brush piles by converting them in garden mulch.
- Shreds wood with a diameter measuring up to 3-inches.
- It features a two-bushel bag.
Buy Earthquake 9060300 shredder chipper from Amazon and enjoy a 5-year product warranty.
Patriot Products CSV-3100B 10 HP Briggs and Stratton Gas-Powered Wood Chipper/Leaf Shredder
If you do not fancy electric shredders, then Briggs and Stratton range of products could fit the bill as gas-powered alternatives. Moreover, for a buyer looking for something costing less than $2000 on Amazon, Patriot Products Briggs and Stratton Wood Chipper/Leaf Shredder is not going to disappoint. It is because of the following reasons:
- It is a 50-state compliant, which means you can use it anywhere in the United States.
- Features a side discharge for same-location, all-day work without having to move it an inch.
- Shredding dead leaves is a thrilling activity, especially with this machine, thanks to a swinging-y-hammer,
- It has a power of 10 HP making it possible to chip branches measuring 3-inches in diameter.
Features to Look for the Right One:
Now, when it comes to buying the best wood chipper or shredder, there are factors one must consider. They include the following:
Before you can put your money on a leaf shredder, or a wood chipping machine, it is imperative to ask this question: Do I need one for commercial or home use? Once you can answer this question, it becomes easy to settle on the right item. A machine for home use is not as heavy-duty as that for commercial use; neither does it use much energy.
Waste reduction rate:
The faster a shredder can reduce debris into chips, the better it is. This value is on product labels or descriptions, and it technically means the amount of dead wood a machine can turn into tinier chips within a specified time duration.
An example is 10:1 ration, which means, a chipping machine can chip ten bags of dead organic matter, and the final output fits into one sack.
Type of Engine:
Wood shredders run on different engines. Some are gas-powered while others are electric. Electric variants are most-preferred because they do not produce fumes, while gasoline-driven options do emit many fumes, hence not very environmentally friendly. However, that is not all.
There are many more differences between the chippers that depend on electricity and those that are gas-dependent as you will find out in a short while.
This review divided top products for the money based on pricing, which is another vital buying factor. If you can cough out more money, well and right, but, for those who are looking for something less expensive, electric or gas wood chipping machine costing less than $1000 are pocket-friendly.
Number of Blades:
Making a selection based on the number of blades is a straightforward way of going about your purchase. The more the rotating blades, the faster you will complete a shredding task.
Size of Project Area/Size of Debris:
The size of your property/project area and that of waste you will be reducing to mulch is directly proportional to horsepower. You need a machine with a higher Horsepower for quicker completion of chipping tasks that involve large organic materials and when your work area is expansive.
Other factors like vacuum attachments and compliance and safety measures should further help inform buying decisions. Does the product label feature certifications from American National Standards Institute, Outdoor Power Equipment Institute, or ETL approval? These labels or any other by quality assurance bodies recognized by law means the product is safe for shipping.
While you may not always find warranty descriptions on Amazon, it is advisable that buyers go to the manufacturer website to find out more, including warranty terms. It is essential to do so to avoid spending money on maintenance incidences arising from manufacturing faults.
Electric Wood Chippers vs. Gas Wood Chippers: What works?
|Electric Wood Chippers||Gas Wood Chippers|
|Low maintenance||High maintenance|
|Produce less or no noise||Noisy|
|Use electricity||Use gasoline|
|No smoke or fumes||Produce smoke or fumes|
What to Do with Fresh Wood Chips?
After buying the best wood chipper on Amazon, the next question everyone always asks is; what will I do with the fresh chips? Well, there are waste management practices that befit a homesteader’s niche, but disposing shreds from leaves and wood wouldn’t be more meaningful than doing the following:
- Interior décor, carpentry, and artwork involve the large-scale use of wood chips. Use them to stabilize artificial flowers in vases. Their varying shapes, sizes, and colors also come in handy when adding visual appeal to woodwork and arts.
- They will also help prevent erosion in your backyard, albeit, as a temporary solution. As you plan on a long-term way of preventing soil erosion, wood chippings are every landscaper’s short-term solution.
- Cushion kid’s playground for non-slip using chippings. However, it is imperative to inspect the area to ensure it is safe regularly.
- There are many compost bin ideas, and when it comes to choosing a composting material, chips have sufficient amounts of carbon, hence ideal for improvement of the fertility of the garden soil.
- For those whose homes have reactors for biomass, by-products from sawmill lumber such sawdust and wood chippings and shreds are excellent solutions to energy needs of every home.
- Mulching is a standard practice of conserving soil moisture, especially during summer. However, when it comes to using wood chippings from wood, keeping a beautiful garden during winter is equally possible.
- Spreading the material over the soil beds will help retain warmth in the soil, something which plants need for healthy and lush green growth. Here are more expert mulching practices for those who want to learn more.
- Spread them on the walkway to kill the weed and keep a clean surrounding.
How Long Does Mulch Need to Age?
Global climatic changes mean people must fast adapt to emerging mulching practices while also keeping abreast with new information. Fast decaying materials like twigs, grass, and leaves require short-term decomposition procedures before using them in gardening.
However, composting wood chips for mulch need at least six months to one year. Here is a look at more must do’s and don’ts guide of mulching.
Commercial Wood Chip Composting Advice
Are you thinking about commercial composition for your large-scale flower and vegetable garden using wood chip? We’ve got the expert advice you need to do it right. Take a look.
Decomposition and Nitrobacterium Advice
Due to the size of wood chips as well as their cellulose content, they are always likely to take up more substantial amounts of nitrogen from the soul hence depriving the soil and plants nitrobacteria. The solution: Mix animal manure (high-nitrogen substance) and wood chips in a 50-50 ratio for faster decomposition.
Prevention of Fire hazards:
Piling up of the material is likely to pose a fire hazard. However, when you work with the right surface area to volume ratio, it is unlikely that unprecedented fire outbreaks will take place in the compost area.
Type of wood:
Nevertheless, those who wish to start practicing commercial compositing should stay away from chips from pressure-treated lumber. You should also avoid materials from sawmill and timber yards. It is because of their chemical composition hence not suitable for soil or plants.
Also, wood from walnuts and non-mulch materials is not ideal given that they emit substances that do not augur well with plant vegetables and flowers.
Wood Chipper Safety:
Q: What are the benefits of using wood chips as mulch?
A: Well, there are many reasons to choose chips for garden mulch. First, control runoff hence guards against erosion. Secondly, they help contain soil moisture. Other uses include organic touch finishing during planting and upon decomposition, improve soil fertility.
Q: What is the ideal mulch thickness?
A: Keep it a maximum of 2-inches and only add more mulch when the first one has completely decomposed.
Q: When will my product arrive?
A: Depending on your location, it could take a few hours to a day, and sometimes up to a week. U.S citizens get their deliveries within a few hours to 3 days. However, international purchases may take up to seven days.
Q: How long does a chipping blade last?
A: Durability depends on the quality of the knife, the type of wood on which you use it, and the frequency of chipping. However, you can always change it when it becomes dull. Irregular shreds and longer chipping time mean it is time to change the blade.
Q: How do I sharpen the blade?
A: A good filing stone should help you do it by yourself, and of course at the right angle. However, if you do not know how to do it, a professional will charge you in the range of $20 to $100 for the service.
In the end, Morninghomestead is always committed to helping buyers make the right decisions. This review has been about the best wood chipper and having looked at their specs; we hope you’ve finally landed the right product for the money. However, if you ask us how we rank chippers and shredders in this post, we would not shy from giving a final verdict as follows:
- PowerSmart PS10 ranks highest in its price range because of its safety features, ability to rip into 1.625 inches thick wood. It also has 15-amp power, which even though equals Sun Joe CJ60-GRY, overload control is something to beat. It is also ideal for both small and medium task chipping work, not to mention its lightweight at only 33 pounds.
- For products in the middle price range, the Earthquake 9060300 makes it to the top of the list. From reduction ration of 20:1, rip capacity of blades tearing through 3-inch thick debris, bushel bag to clipping hammers, what more does affordable mean?
- While Tazz 22752 K33 301cc consumes a little more gasoline than GreatCircleUSA 7HP Heavy Duty 212cc, its minimalist design among other great specs for the buyer such as non-deflate wheels and debris collection means it caps our verdict as the best in the lower priced chipper shredder.
As with all equipment, it is vital you handle each with care. You now have the latest information on the Best Wood Chippers on the market. Choosing the best one for your farming needs should now be a breeze. Thank you for your time and Happy Homesteading!
We always look forward to reading your views in the comment section below because it helps us grow together. Also, do not forget to share this post with your friends, gardening enthusiasts and homesteaders on social media looking for top product recommendations.
How useful was this post?
5 / 5. 1