Dogs are man’s best friend. They protect you, keep you company, play with you and so on. A well-trained dog will do just about anything you ask it to do. However, when it comes to sleep, they are very good at it. A dog loves sleeping so much that it can nap anywhere.
Canines could find a comfortable corner and snooze away. Importantly, they feel far better when they sleep on a suitable surface made for them. As you read along, this guide will show you the Best Dog Beds you can lay your hands on for your dog.
- Dog carrier backpack 70 lbs
- Best Rabbit Bedding For Odor Control: Reviews and Guide 
- Large Breed Dog Food Vs. Regular Dog Food: What’s the Difference?
- DNA My Dog vs. Wisdom Panel vs. Embark: 2019 Reviews and Comparison
- 1 How to Buy a Dog Bed
- 2 Picking the Right Material for your Dog’s Bed
- 3 Finding the Right Size for Your Dog
- 4 Top 6 Best Dog Beds For Small, Medium and Large Dogs:
- 4.1 PetFusion Ultimate Dog Lounge, Premium Edition with Solid Memory Foam. Replacement covers & matching blankets are also available. 12-month warranty for manufacturer defects
- 4.2 Laifug Orthopaedic Memory Foam Large Dog Bed, Durable Water Proof Liner, Removable Washable Cover
- 4.3 Blueberry Pet Heavy Duty Bed or Bed Cover, Removable & Washable Cover w/YKK Zippers. Shop a Whole Bed with Cover for Change
- 4.4 Best Friends by Sheri Luxury Shag Faux Donut Cuddler (Multiple Sizes) – Round Donut Cat and Dog Cushion Bed, Orthopaedic Relief, Self-Warming and Cozy for Improved Sleep – Prime, Machine Washable, Water-Resistant Bottom
- 4.5 Friends Forever Premium Orthopaedic Dog Bed/Lounge, Removable Cover, 100 percent Suede with Memory Foam Base, Prestige Edition
- 4.6 BarksBar gray Orthopaedic Dog Bed – Snuggly Sleeper – with Grooved Orthopaedic Foam, Extra Comfy Cotton-Padded Rim cushion, and Nonslip Bottom
- 5 FAQs:
- 5.1 Q: I have a pup, but I realize that it always wants to sleep on my bed. Why?
- 5.2 Q: How do I take care of my dog’s bed?
- 5.3 Q: How do I know that my pup needs an orthopedic bed?
- 5.4 Q: Which of my canines need an orthopedic dog bed?
- 5.5 Q: My pup sleeps in the same bed as me, why should I bother buying any bed for it?
- 6 Closing
- 7 Why Choose us?
- 8 How useful was this post?
How to Buy a Dog Bed
Dogs are like babies since they cannot talk, you must take extra effort to make them comfortable. Aside from food, shelter, exercise and so on you must consider how they rest or sleep. Taking care of your pooch goes more in-depth than getting him a sleeping rug or carpet. You should make sure it naps comfortably.
Note that a comfortable dog will end up a happy and healthy dog. These beds have a design just for dogs which would give your dog the much-needed comfort. However, if you did not provide your dog with a bed, be ready to see it snooze on your couch or bed. Many of us do not like our dogs sleeping on our couches or beds, for this reason, invest in a quality dog bed. 
These beds design is for the comfort of your pet. Buying a dog bed depends on its suitability to your dog’s behavior pattern. You should know that different dogs behave in diverse ways. For you to buy the perfect dog bed that your pup would be happy and comfortable sleeping on, consider the following factors:
Sleeping Style of the Dog
Different canines adopt different sleeping styles. The sleeping method of your dog will determine the type of bed you should buy. For example, if your furry friend sleeps belly up, then you cannot buy the bed made for pups that curl up to snooze. Let’s see the different sleeping styles peculiar to dogs:
Belly-Up Sleeping Style
If your hound has a weird habit of sleeping on its back, then shop for a particular bed. The bed should be firm and soft to support its spine, and it gives adequate comfort. A soft mattress will do the magic in this case.
Burrow Sleeping Style
Some pups like to snug inside protective materials or blanket, and if this happens to be your pooch’s style, then you are better off with a cave bed. Cave beds look like the nest/bolster bed but with unique differences. The cave bed comes with a hood that hangs over the dog as it snuggles in.
Curl Sleeping Style
Some canines enjoy curling up into a tight ball-like shape when they sleep. If your pooch curls up to nap, then you can consider the nest and bolster beds. These beds have raised edges and rims that provides warmth to the curl up canine.
Pillow/Armrest Sleeping Style
Several pooches are addicted to resting their heads on pillows or armrests when they snooze. Well, if the style defines your dog’s, do not sweat it, your perfect choice would be the nest and bolster bed. Interestingly, these beds have raised edges that the pet can rest their head on. The edges of these beds are soft and provide the support your pup’s head.
Sprawl Sleeping Style
If your dog naps by stretching out, then you need a bed that would suit that style of sleep. You need to buy one that would support its outstretch body size. That bed must be large enough to accommodate its nap style. The bed must not have rims or edges; if it does, it will confine your pet to the center of the bed. If this nap style describes your dog, then your best bet would be a cushion bed, pillow or standard mat.
Special Condition of the Dog
If your dog behaves normal health, then any quality bed would do. However, if it has certain health challenges or requirements, then a different bed would be adequate. The following special cases require special beds:
Aging or dogs with bone disorders
For pooches with arthritis or hip dysplasia, you need to buy one that is comfortable to sleep in such as the flat, ultra-supportive orthopedic pet beds. These beds come with thick memory foam which eases pressure on your dog’s sore joints. Not only that, but this bed also blocks off the floor temperature. However, a heavily padded bed will suffice, and a raised bed that will lead the dog into jumping or climbing should never be an option.
Dogs that are prone to cold
Short-haired dogs like the Chihuahuas or miniature pinchers occasionally shiver from cold. If your canine falls in this category, go for an ultra-plush, insulated bed with a generous amount of polyester or cotton filling. Polyesters and cotton generate heat thereby providing warmth when used to fill your pup’s bed.
Alternatively, you can choose heated pet beds which are more like an electric blanket. However, the heated pet bed will be a problem with chewing dogs because of the danger of electrocution.
Dogs that are susceptible to heat
Dogs with thick furs covering them need sufficient airflow because they are prone to heat. The fur coat protects such canines against cold; therefore, the best bed for such should be one that does not retain heat. If you have that kind of dog, you are better off with a pet cot with a raised surface. The raised surface allows cool air to circulate while the pup sleeps.
Furthermore, for active dogs that play in the sun all day, you can use a plastic cooling pet bed. You can fill the bed with water or gel. The liquid prevents the pooch from overheating after a busy day.
Dogs with anxiety challenges
If your little pup acts jumpy all the time at the slightest sound or motion, that dog has anxiety problems. Dogs with anxiety troubles are better off sleeping in cave beds because of the sense of security and safety they create. Your pup would crawl under the hood of the bed and doze off.
Dogs with bladder/bowel control issues
If your pop has issues controlling its bladder or bowel, then you should get a waterproof pet bed. This water resists ability of the removable cover or liner of the bed will prevent it getting soaked with urine when your pooch has such accident. Maintaining the bed become easy since it can be removed and washed easily.
Furthermore, the choice of acquiring the patented Sleepee Time Bed also presents itself to you. The bed has a layered system of vinyl-coated polyester mesh which allows urine to pass easily through the mattress. The urine passes through the mattress into a sturdy bottom tray. The bed also include a bolsters topped with a fleece-like material designed to keep your dog’s fur dry to prevent discomfort or irritation.
Chewing Habit of the dog
Dogs chew about everything from bones, rubber, plastic, sofas, mattress, blankets, and so on. Different canines have different chewing habits. When you are shopping for a bed, you need to put your dog’s chewing habit into consideration to know the type of mattress to buy.
If your dog chews everything it sets its teeth on to shred, the best bed would be a tough one that can withstand the chewing. No bed can withstand the teeth of these mischievous animals like the pet cots. This bed comes with a sturdy metal or plastic frame and a mesh layer over the top. This bed passed the teeth test. Since it has little materials to be destroyed, it comes recommended for massive chewing dogs.
For pooches that chew just a little, get a bed that can resist the gentle teeth bite. The material may be destructive-proof but should be able to withstand the dog’s gentle teeth. A pillow or bolster bed with a reinforced cover is the perfect choice. Thick denim, ballistic nylon, or any other ultra-tough materials are perfect for such.
Picking the Right Material for your Dog’s Bed
The inside of your dog’s bed gives the necessary comfort the animal requires. Each or a combination of the materials discussed below are used to fill these beds. In this section, we are going to discover the merits and demerits of each of the materials. 
These common and used cost-efficient fillings provide adequate support that suits younger pups. Polyester fibers are soft, warm and comfortable. However, after a while, the polyester fibers clump and the bed loses its original shape.
Cotton just like polyesters has the feature of softness and warmth. They provide support for dog beds. Unfortunately, cotton too clumps after use over time.
Natural Down Feathers
This type of fill offers moderate support and falls under the category of the softest and warmest pet’s bed materials. These materials retain heat well making them perfect for cold prone animals. Contrariwise, do not use natural down feathers for pups with thick coats.
Solid Foam, Egg-Crate Foam, and Memory Foam
These materials offer the most support in a bed, and this is good for heavy hounds and those with bone disorders. These materials reduce pressure on aching joints and offer pets protection against uncomfortable hot or cold temperature of hard floors.
The demerit of these materials includes the production of less warmth compared to other materials so it will not be suitable for cold prone pets.
These are multipurpose fill types – they serve more than just bedding materials. They repel fleas and mask pet odors with their distinct scents thus keeping your house fresh. Unfortunately, they offer less comfort and protection compared to other materials.
Water and gel are cooling agents. They provide comfort and relief for dogs with thick coats or active ones who spend more time in the sun during the day.
Finding the Right Size for Your Dog
How would you feel after buying a good bed for your canine, but it seems too large to fit into it? An apparent disappointing feeling would be your emotion then. Now, for you to avoid falling into such a situation, you need to measure your dog before hitting the market. Let’s consider the following tips for discovering the right size of bed for your dog.
- Measure your dog while in its natural sleeping position:
While your dog naps, stretch a tape over it from the front legs or nose to the back legs or rump to know its length. Note here that if the nose extends further than the legs, you start the measurement at the nose and vice versa.
Similarly, when at the rear position, if the leg projects backward more than the rump, measure from the leg and vice versa.
After recording the measurement, add 8″ to 10″ to it to determine the proper bed length and diameter.
- Take your dog’s weight:
Your dog’s weight will determine if the bed will remain in shape or not. Hounds weighing as much as 50 lbs. and above would require beds with thicker and denser cushions. A golden retriever or German shepherd would flatten the filling of a bed that does not meet adequate thickness and density. If this happens, the comfort of such a pet becomes truncated. Cots are well suited for Cujo-sized hounds that weigh more than 80 pounds.
- Go oversize!
When making the final buying decision, make sure you buy what exceed your measurement. Oversized beds are preferred compared to small ones. Again, you should know that your dog might outgrow the bed in a short while, hence the need to go oversize. You can decide to skip Step 1 and Step 2 and jump to Step 3 because an oversized bed will still serve you regardless.
Top 6 Best Dog Beds For Small, Medium and Large Dogs:
The adage let sleeping dogs lie, goes a long way to teach us one thing – dogs love to sleep. Now, for your dog Bingo, or whatever you call ‘him’ we reviewed six top beds that will make it wag its tails like never before. In no particular order, here are the beds:
PetFusion Ultimate Dog Lounge, Premium Edition with Solid Memory Foam. Replacement covers & matching blankets are also available. 12-month warranty for manufacturer defects
This dog bed has it all, smart design, easy clean feature, easy assembly and so on. Whatever the size of the dog, the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Lounge can hold it – even above 100 pounds, no worries! This durable bed would not tear easily, and you can seamlessly clean it. The PetFusion gives your dog maximum comfort, and it comes with a creative design that blends seamlessly with your home.
Premium Components: This bed comprises the following materials:
- It comes with a solid 4-inch Memory Foam base that gives the bed superior overall comfort. It also reduces joint pain and improved health, mobility, and energy
- It comes with recycled ‘green’ polyfill support bolsters
- It comes stuffed with durable and comfortable materials – 65 percent polyester and 35 percent cotton weave
Smart Design: The design of this bed makes it very useful:
- The base and pillow provide optimal support and comfort
- It comes with a water-resistant and tear-proof cover
- The bottom is non-skid
- Creatively made to blend perfectly with your internal décor
Easy Cleaning Feature: You can clean the PetFusion with ease because of the following:
- Comes with removable machine washable cover
- You can easily spot, clean and remove hair from this bed
Multi-purpose: The PetFusion can cater perfectly for a variety of dogs be it small, medium or large ones:
- It works well with canines with arthritis or others bone issues.
- It comes with more lounging option with its outer bolster that your pet can use as a headrest or nestle under whichever one it chooses.
Easy to assemble: With the PetFusion, assembling comes easy and seamless:
- The bolsters (couch arms) comes pre-loaded in a fabric cover, insert the memory foam base and zip close it.
- Comes with a 12-month warranty on any part broken due to manufacturer’s defects
Dimensions: The available sizes include:
- Small size: 25 x 20 x 5.5 inches
- Large: 36 x 28 x 9 inches
- Extra-large: 44 x 34 x 10 inches
- Jumbo: 50 x 40 x 13 inches
You know your pooch needs this bed, why not order it from Amazon now:
Laifug Orthopaedic Memory Foam Large Dog Bed, Durable Water Proof Liner, Removable Washable Cover
The Laifug Orthopaedic Memory Foam bed comes with memory foam which makes it perfect for dogs with arthritis or other bone disorders. The material composition of the bed makes it warm and comfortable for your pet. Your canine’s body would fit perfectly on the bed and the result; absolute bliss!
- Orthopedic Memory Foam: It comes with high-quality memory foam of 43 x 36 x 7 inches. This orthopedic bed reduces dog’s arthritis pain. It keeps your dog warm and perfect for older dogs.
- Four Pillow Bed: The Laifug bed comes as a four-pillow designed bed. The high-quality cut pillow has strong support which allows dogs to lay their heads on each of the cushions to tummy, daze, and nap comfortably.
- Water-proof Liner, Removable Washable Cover: The soft faux material cover of the Laifug bed can be machine washed. The super comfortable removable cover has between it and the memory foam, a waterproof liner.
- Separated Design: The Laifug’s design makes it very useful. The central memory foam can separate from the high-quality outside foam as a dog bed or mattress.
- Folding Sofa-Bed Design: As a sofa or bed, the design of the Laifug affords it the ability to fit both small and large dogs. Therefore you only need one bed as your pup grows up to maturity. Because the bed folds, your puppy can stretch and take any sleeping position it so chooses.
Dimensions: The bed comes in size 43 x 36 x 7 inches. The bed can seamlessly accommodate dogs of weight 150 pounds and below.
You can get this bed for your dog from Amazon:
Blueberry Pet Heavy Duty Bed or Bed Cover, Removable & Washable Cover w/YKK Zippers. Shop a Whole Bed with Cover for Change
This heavy-duty bed can carry your big dogs without collapsing. However, when it comes to comfort, the bed did not compromise size with support – it takes pleasure to a whole new level. Though designed like a sofa, this lounge bed provides a soft and comfortable corner for your hound to rest and relax.
- Components: Made of cotton, linen, and polyester blended fabric, the Blueberry Pet bed answers the question of It contains 100 percent recyclable eco-friendly microfibre inside. Regarding variety, the linen material provides for varying shades of colors to expand color preference of customers.
- Easy Wash Cover: The cover can be entirely removed and washed. It comes with durable YKK zips which make for easier unzipping of the bed. After undoing the zip, then stuff the cover into the washing machine for some deep wash action. You can machine wash the material with similar colored items in cold water only. Set the device on the gentle cycle to, and you can tumble dry it after.
Dimensions: The bed measures 25x 21 x 10 inches on the external size while 14 x 11.5 x 5.5 inches on the internal size. It weighs about 6 pounds.
Do you have big dog issues? Why not order this heavy-duty bad boy right from Amazon:
Best Friends by Sheri Luxury Shag Faux Donut Cuddler (Multiple Sizes) – Round Donut Cat and Dog Cushion Bed, Orthopaedic Relief, Self-Warming and Cozy for Improved Sleep – Prime, Machine Washable, Water-Resistant Bottom
This unique bed will be perfect for your dog that curls up in a tight ball to sleep. The cushion comes in high-quality support materials that will make your pup enjoy its sleep pattern. Cold hard floors inhibit sleep quality of your pet and in turn worsen joint pains. The bed features a round design, creating a cozy, protective atmosphere.
The versatility of the Shag Donut Cuddler makes it a perfect bed for your burrowing pet. When your pet sleeps on this bed, they would feel surrounded by love and warmth making them have a restful nap.
- Sturdy Support: The Sheri Luxury’s donut cuddler comes with better support for better sleep. The cuddler will suit your pup that loves curling up to rest. It comes with a raised rim which gives a sense of security while providing head and neck support. The soft filling inside the cushion offers joint and muscle pain relief.
- Super Comfortable: The bed offers superior comfort for your pooch. The cuddler can self-warm thereby making it reminiscent of a mother’s fur coat to your pup. This cuddler comes with deep crevices that allow your pooch to burrow because of the faux shag fur. After a night on this cuddler, your puppy will have full, restful sleep, improved, and better health.
- Versatile Design: The cuddler comes in beautiful natural colors that make it an excellent addition to your room décor. The bottom of the cuddler can resist water and dirt thereby stopping accidental messes from touching your floors.
- Pet Safe Materials: The Best Friends Cuddler combines durable nylon and luxurious faux fur to create this practical and comfortable bed. The cuddler can be machine washed and tumble dried to minimize your pet’s odor and excess hair. Wash with a gentle cycle and tumble dry at low heat.
Dimensions: The available sizes include:
- The 23-inch beds work best for cats and small dog breeds weighing up to 25 pounds
- The 30-inch beds will serve medium dog breeds weighing up to 45 pounds
- The 36-inch beds are perfect for large dog breeds weighing up to 100 pounds
If your dog sleeps curled up, then do not look away from this bed, order it right away from Amazon:
Friends Forever Premium Orthopaedic Dog Bed/Lounge, Removable Cover, 100 percent Suede with Memory Foam Base, Prestige Edition
This luxurious, durable orthopedic bed grants your furry friend a solid night’s sleep and a restful day’s nap. This bed offers your canine comfort. It gives adequate support for little pups as well as those with arthritis or joint pains.
- Luxury Bed: This pet bed will give your pup comfort because of the extra care used in making it. The cushioned plush poly-fill bolster gives your pup the ultimate comfort while catering for its bones. Made from human-grade mattress foam, this luxury bed, your pet will enjoy it for a long time.
- The liner of this bed resists water which means moisture would not penetrate. Also, if your pooch has bladder issues that makes it wet its bed while asleep, this bed would solve the problem.
- Seamless Cleaning: the soft but durable, removable cover of this bed can be machine washed. With the aid of the YKK pure metal zippers, you can remove it for cleaning anytime. Also, the bottom does not skid nor slip. The non-skid and non-slip features guarantee that the bed would remain where you place it – even on slippery tiles.
Finally, the cover resists fur and hair sticking to it. The anti-tear capability of the cover will be perfect for rowdy and mischievous canines. With this bed, you will be at peace.
Dimensions: The bed measures 36 x 28 x 9 inches. It would accommodate a couple of smaller pups or one medium-sized canine or one large hound up to 75 pounds. Whichever the case, it will offer impressive head, hip and bone support.
Why not order this luxurious bed now while it lasts? Make your order from Amazon here:
BarksBar gray Orthopaedic Dog Bed – Snuggly Sleeper – with Grooved Orthopaedic Foam, Extra Comfy Cotton-Padded Rim cushion, and Nonslip Bottom
The BarksBar company took comfort to another level with this their BarksBar Orthopaedic Dog bed. The bed works perfectly for snuggly sleeping pooches to give them the needed support in their sleeping style. It can carry multiple small dogs and a large canine.
1. Premium Materials: The material used in making the BarkBar bed include the following:
- Ultra-Soft Polyester Cover with a luxurious bed cover with decorative intersecting seams
- 4-inch thick and grooved Orthopaedic foam base. The foam makes for optimal comfort, pain reduction, and improved health. The bed will not lose its shape over time but would continue to cater for every crevice of your pet’s body. It comes with a full orthopedic foam pad that works better than shredded memory and Tempurpedic fill.
- The rim of the bed comes padded with extra comfy cotton. The cotton cushion contours perfectly to the neck of your dog to give it constant support.
2. Sleek and Luxurious Design: This dog bed blends perfectly with your home décor, thanks to the quilted designs. It also comes with a built-in non-slip rubber base to keep it from sliding around.
3. Seamless Cleaning & Maintenance: You can machine wash the removable cover at the gentle or delicate cycle. You can seamlessly spot clean it and remove hairs from it. The cover can be removed and installed with ease.
Dimensions: The bed measures 36 x 24 inches on the inner size of sleeping space. The sizeable Orthopedic sleeper measures 40 x 30 x 10 inches and perfect for medium to large hounds. Multiple smaller dogs can also fit in it perfectly. This bed can hold up to 100 pounds of weight for 36 inches pet length.
Every bone in your pet’s body will thank you if you order this bed right here on Amazon:
Q: I have a pup, but I realize that it always wants to sleep on my bed. Why?
A: Dogs know the difference between a comfortable bed and an uncomfortable one. Your pup realized that your bed gives it more comfort than the one you gave it, so it keeps returning to the comfy bed – your bed.
Solution: Change your pup’s bed. You can read more about buying the right mattress for your dog, which you know depends on some factors.
Q: How do I take care of my dog’s bed?
A: Taking care of your dog’s bed involves the following simple steps:
- Shake the bed once a day and plump it up a bit like making your bed
- Wash the bed cover once a week depending on the season more during the winter
- While washing the cover, clean the inner dog bed. Vacuum and spot clean stubborn stains
Q: How do I know that my pup needs an orthopedic bed?
A: Here are the following signs that will show you that your pup needs an orthopedic bed:
- If you notice that your puppy experiences stiffness after laying down
- If your pup limps or becomes stiff after exercise or play
- If your pooch moves slowly or cautiously
- If your canine experiences difficulties in climbing stairs, jumping or running
If your pup shows one or more of these symptoms, then your dog may be having arthritis, canine hip and elbow dysplasia, bad knee joints, etc.
Solution: Stop your dog from laying on the ground and buy an excellent orthopedic bed for it. After regular usage, the health condition would improve. (learn more here)
Q: Which of my canines need an orthopedic dog bed?
A: Your older dogs, the ones with arthritis and those suffering from bone conditions and joint pains. Furthermore, canines just recovering from accidental injury or surgery need an orthopedic bed. These beds work on pressure points and improve circulation which aids healing. Moreover, healthy dogs too can enjoy this bed.
Q: My pup sleeps in the same bed as me, why should I bother buying any bed for it?
A: Just like you, your pet needs a place to call his own where it can routinely nest. If your pup has his place, it would feel safe and protected. Experts make dog beds particularly for them. These beds are warm, soft and fluffy. Though sleeping in that same bed with your pup promotes bonding, yet the puppy needs its own space.
There you have them; the Best Dog Beds Buyers Guide for 2019! We believe now that you would not compromise your pup’s comfort anymore. You now know the importance of investing in a proper bed for your furry friend. If you no longer allow your dog to lie on the ground, you will notice a better and healthier pet.
We are sure that if you take our advice, your pet will be happier and healthier. We like you to observe the behavior of your pup now and after you have ordered one the beds above. We are 100 percent certain that its conduct would improve drastically. However, we want you to remember to return to this article and add your comments and testimonials for others to benefit too.
We know we have done justice to making your dog happy and you a happy pet owner with this post. You are welcome to add your views, queries, and suggestion in the comment section. Finally, share, like and comment on this post for others to learn too.
Why Choose us?
Our experts are ever digging to discover intellectual resources that would improve your life and buying decisions. We at Morning Homestead are poised to keep servicing you with insightful articles about trending and useful products for you. From tools to animal care, gardens, diet and so on, you will get what you want.
Do contact us for your product reviews. While on our site, cease the opportunity of checking out our other posts. Thank you for reading our review. Please share our work on your social media platforms to help in expanding our audience as well as allowing our guides to help others.
We love hearing from our readers, therefore, leave us a message in our comment section, and one of us will respond promptly. We want to thank you one more time for your valuable time.
How useful was this post?
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.